News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luxembourg: War Cross 1940-1945

Croix de Guerre 1940-1945

Instituted: 17 April 1945 by Grand Duchess Charlotte.

Awarded: For services in the battle to liberate Luxembourg during the Second World War.

Obverse:

• 5 years later...
    • 7 years later...

Hi Megan

Are these images of the same cross? It appears the obverse is lacking the small cross on top of the ball connecting the ribbon ring, which is sometimes obstructed by the ribbon, but not it appears in this image.

Your version also has a cut out crown similar to that of the Cross of the Order of Resistance, do you or anyone else know if this is the original version, as most images I can find appear without the cutout as the attached example.

Cheers

Dave

Luxembourg-War Cross 1940-1945-O-P95.JPG

Luxembourg-War Cross 1940-1945-R.JPG

Hello Shots Dave,

Hello Megan,

Did Magan had used a computer tool to make "like hollow" on the crown, because it would be the first Luxembourg War Cross I would see such.  If Megan could reply us, and clarify. 

This is a photo of mine.

As you can see Crown is plain, and there is a top cross on top of the crown.

I have to add, that Spink seems to have re-issue that war cross somewhen in the 1970ies or later, but the workmanship is NOT that sharp, and metal used is a low low alloy of bronze.

On a small booklet published in 1960, 61 or 63, there is the number of Luxembourg War Cross issued by countries, if my memory is good that figure shall fall around 778 US Soldiers, 506 Luxemburger, 86 Belgian, 67 French, 35 British & 1 Dutch soldier ( 1473 in total ).

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Luxembourg Croix de Guerre War Cross WWII Medal.jpg

Edited by heusy68

If my memory is good, in the Medal Collector Vol 50 # 2 of March-April 1999, or Vol 50 # 3 of May June 1999, there a color photo on front cover a group to a US General, where is presented a Luxembourg WWII War Cross, that is actually a French WWII War Cross , but with a luxemburger ribbon. Those who own that Medal Collector (the magazine of the OMSA could help ).

Regards.

Emmanuel

I have to add, that this version also exist. It is clearly NOT an official version of the Luxembourg War Cross, but according to its manufacture, it make sense to think that this one, was manufactured in Belgium (maybe at private request of some Belgian Veterans.....or collectors). I had seen only 2 such crosses in collection in all my life, and mine came from a London dealer where I purchased it for 50 GBP about 2012-2014.

It is larger than the normal Luxembourg War Cross (which was manufactured by Spink), and this type of cross is the one illustrated as Luxembourg War Cross in the book : Orders, Medals and decorations of Britain and Europe in Colour, by Paul Hieronymussen, published by Blandford Press Ltd in 1966 (page 73, even if no page numbers in the colours plate).

But I repeat, it is NOT the official War Cross of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Luxembourg War Cross WWII unofficial Model obverse.jpg

Luxembourg War Cross WWII unofficial Model reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Hello Dave,

France, no. I do not have currently the possibility to scan this issue of the Medal Collector, to illustrate my words, but maybe others members have access to it.

The, thereafter mentioned Luxembourg War Cross, who seems 99 % to be actually a French WWII War Cross on a Luxembourg ribbon, does NOT implicate a french manufacture. Bacqueville of Paris can sell the ribbon, but that's it.

I add 2 screen capture of the medal bar, worn by Grand Duke John of Luxembourg 1921-2019, who was holder of the WWII War Cross of Luxembourg, the Belgium WWII War Cross, the France WWII War Cross, and the Netherlands WWII War Cross. You can see the differences in size.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Capture d’écran 2020-11-15 à 04.33.36.png

Capture d’écran 2020-11-15 à 04.32.43.png

Luxembourg S.A.R. le Grand Duc Jean.jpg