News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Officers tunics of the Bundesheer

An early Bundeswehr Brigadegeneral?s tunic from the 1950s. The pointed shoulder boards came into use with the 1955 Rank Regulations. The collar tab insignia are of the metal wire embroidered type. The shoulder boards insignia is in a dull gold metal with brighter gold highlights. The gold cord around the shoulder boards and the collar is also of gold wire. The tunic is not named.

This tunic is for a Generalmajor from around the 1990s. The rounded shoulder boards came into use in 1962. The collar tab insignia is of metal wire but of the non oxidizing type. The cord around the collar and the shoulder boards is of metal wire but does oxidize. The shoulder board insignia is of metal and virtually the same as the earlier tunic I posted pictures of. The shoulder insignia is for the 5th Panzer Division. It is of the General Officer variety done in gold metal embroidery.

I have not been successful in acquiring a list of General Officers that served with 5th Panzer Division and I would be happy to get ones should anyone have this information. The other question I have is to what pin back badge would have been worn on the right breast pocket. The thread loops are 40mm apart. Anyone care to make a suggestion?

Uwe,

Thanks for the post. I have those pictures etc. but I don't believe I have ever seen a "Leistungsabzeichen" big enough to fit the loops on this pocket. Perhaps I am mistaken but since I don't have one with me, and you probably have access to one, would you please measure the distance between the hinge and the latch on the pin for me.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

looking for the name of the General of the 5. Panzerdivision, you have to exclude the divisional commanders.

Brigadegeneral was his last rank, and that is for the second in command, "stellvertretender Divisionskommandeur".

And I don't think, that it is BrigGen v. Heimendahl. I know him, and he is a man with a real sense of tradition, and I think, that he would not give away his uniform :) .

Regards

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

Uwe,

Thanks for the measurments of the "Leistungsabzeichen". Now that I know it will fit I'll get one for this tunic. Thanks also for the info on the last CO of the division and his "stellvertretender Divisionskommandeur". I thought that this tunic/rank would belong to a person in that position. Now all I need is a list of General Officers that filled the "stellvertretender Divisionskommandeur" for 5. Panzer.

Here is another tunic for a Brigade General who was the "stellvertretender Divisionskommandeur" in 1. Luftlande Division. I tried to buy the entire uniform in Vienna a couple of weeks ago but it had been promised to someone else. At least that was the vendors story. I wasn't all that distressed as it was way over priced. The tunic wasn't named but the hat was.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig