News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fake Turkish Star

Richard Gordon

How hard is it to tell what is a fake when those made by the awarding government are generally discounted by collectors of German medals and most of what is focused upon are postwar European jewlers' recreations of the Ottoman original?

Well seeing where he is located, and all the other RARE Russian Imperial goodies he his offering which have been faked BIG-TIME

I would not trust its a real Turkish - German piece even if it is better to be in doubt and cash in pocket.

Dull dark pictures taken at odd camera angles dont help to alay my suspicions either.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

I also do not like the "T" shaped pin, I imagine it would do massive damage to the uniform material

unless one was expected to sew loops on the uniform jacket??

The Front

I am adding the sellers pictures for reference, because once the auction end the seller is quick to remove the picture links as he did with a previous sale of a star. I think it would be suspicious if, over a period of time he is selling the same "model"!!

side view.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Well, it had to happen sooner or later (if it hasn't happened already). I would agree that this piece is highly suspect, and I would stay away. Those Imperial Russian badges from the same seller look as they they might have come out of the same workshop.

Tim

Guest Rick Research

Kev-- German uniforms had loops for awards.

That is a NASTY looking piece. One thing to remark upon is that there is absolutely no PATTERN under the enamel. German and Austrian embellishers outdid themselves making distinctive patterns under the translucent red enamel.

Kev-- German uniforms had loops for awards.

Hallo Rick,

I know of the German practise of sewing loops to the jacket for wearing breast awards, but apart from the sellers title of:

"Gallipoli Star for German Officers" he actually makes no claim that it is a German made piece, so theoreticaly it might have been made to pierce the breast of a brave Austro-Hungarian / Bulgarian hero :lol:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Lack of silver or war alloy ("*") hallmarks mean it couldn't possibly be Austrian made.

• 2 weeks later...