Fake insignia of the Order of Michael the Brave

Here is the reverse & hallmark close up of that Commander awarded to Maurice Couve de Murville.

The 4 hallmarks are : "44" then "HW" for Henry Weiss the manufacturer,then a hard to read (maybe 35 or 55 or something else),then "a crown".

I have all my cases stored in a different place,and sorry I cannot take 2 hours just to look for a case.

Thanks for the additional images, Emmanuel.

Hello sir,

What is your opinion about my Michael the Brave 1st Class 2nd Type ? Fake or genuine ?

Size : 40 x 40 millimeters.Thickness : 2 millimeters.Weight : 23,5 grammes.

You can see on pictures of reverse that the articulation of the pin is different,much elaborated.

Emmanuel

I'd say it is a fake. There were only 15 of these awarded during WWII, so information regarding thickness or weight is not easily available. But 40 mm x 40 mm was the size of the 3rd class, while the 1st and 2nd classes were 50 mm x 50 mm (if I remember right).

I'd say it is a fake. There were only 15 of these awarded during WWII, so information regarding thickness or weight is not easily available. But 40 mm x 40 mm was the size of the 3rd class, while the 1st and 2nd classes were 50 mm x 50 mm (if I remember right).

I made a mistake in measuring the size,it's 60 x 60 millimeters (not 40).And it correspond to the dimension given by the book of Kleitman.

When I took the size ,it was between 10 & 4 on my "slide rule",I was tired,so I wrote 40 for 4 centimeters,but of course it's 60 millimeters.

I saw an amazing romanian collection in a shop in Lausanne,and mine is similar to the one I showed to you.Do you have one to show to compare ?

Emmanuel

I made a mistake in measuring the size,it's 60 x 60 millimeters (not 40).And it correspond to the dimension given by the book of Kleitman.

When I took the size ,it was between 10 & 4 on my "slide rule",I was tired,so I wrote 40 for 4 centimeters,but of course it's 60 millimeters.

60x60 sounds OK. I have also found my references with sizes and they give these dimensions.

I saw an amazing romanian collection in a shop in Lausanne,and mine is similar to the one I showed to you.Do you have one to show to compare ?

Unfortunately I do not have such a rare item in my collection. However, many years ago I took a photo of the badge in the National Military Museum and there are some differences from the piece you posted.

I saw an amazing Romanian collection in a shop in Lausanne,

and mine is similar to the one I showed to you. Do you have one to show to compare ?

Emmanuel

That shop "LA GALERIE NUMISMATIQUE"

at 32, rue du Petit-Chene, 1003 Lausanne

is owned by a Romanian dealer, Mr. Bogdan Stambuliu,

and lets just say, "all that glitters is NOT gold."

I believe some of our members here at G.M.I.C. have had some differences

with regards this person, particularly with items taken from auctions in the U.S.A.

arriving damaged or not the original item in the Auction picture being sent in the post.

He also has a shop in Bucharest, Romania.

Kevin in Deva.

That shop "LA GALERIE NUMISMATIQUE"

at 32, rue du Petit-Chene, 1003 Lausanne

is owned by a Romanian dealer, Mr. Bogdan Stambuliu,

and lets just say, "all that glitters is NOT gold."

I believe some of our members here at G.M.I.C. have had some differences

with regards this person, particularly with items taken from auctions in the U.S.A.

arriving damaged or not the original item in the Auction picture being sent in the post.

He also has a shop in Bucharest, Romania.

Kevin in Deva.

Run, do not walk for the exit! I've gotten some good items from him in the past, and he does a very impressive catalogue, but let's just say, he's not user friendly. I won't be buying there again.

Hugh

• 4 years later...

I bought only exceptional pieces from Mr. Bogdan Stambuliu, and indeed he does have a very impressive collection. From the information above, I believe that the insignia of the Order of Michael the Brave is absolutely original. There is no doubt.

I bought only exceptional pieces from Mr. Bogdan Stambuliu, and indeed he does have a very impressive collection. From the information above, I believe that the insignia of the Order of Michael the Brave is absolutely original. There is no doubt.

Perhaps you would care to quote which post and which Order of Michael the Brave you are refering too?

And yes, the doubt still remains.

Edited by Kev in Deva