News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Now here?s one that you don?t see everyday ......

• Replies 145
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, time to live up to my promise. The set has arrived, and I had some time to take pics, so here it goes: the tunic of Prinz Alfons von Bayern as General der Kavallerie and Inhaber of the 7th Chevauleger Regiment. Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Sandro

Sandro,

Fantastic, as always! I'm glad I didn't have to serve in that regiment! I tend to always drop something on myself while eating and I'd hate to be at a formal dinner and drop soup or gravy down that nice bright white front!!! :rolleyes:

Here's a postcard I have of Prinz Alfons and I believe he's wearing that uniform (or at least one of the same regiment).

alfonsprinzvonbayern2ro5.jpg

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Marvellous collection :)

Is the white front something you can button-on if needed (it would make sense, I guess, cleaning-wise...)?

I have sometimes seen other high-ranking officers with a similar type of uniform with and without a coloured front, and I have always been wondering if they were different uniforms or the same uniform with a separate button-on front.

/Mike

Marvellous collection :)

Is the white front something you can button-on if needed (it would make sense, I guess, cleaning-wise...)?

I have sometimes seen other high-ranking officers with a similar type of uniform with and without a coloured front, and I have always been wondering if they were different uniforms or the same uniform with a separate button-on front.

/Mike

Hi, Mike,

Yes, the colored front piece (the correct name of it escapes me at the moment) was worn for parades and gala occasions.

Gents,

Many thanks for your kind words, it is a pleasure sharing pics of these items with people who enjoy them.

Mike, fantastic postcard, many thanks for sharing. I?ve been looking for that one for ages. If you ever wish to part with it, or ever spot a double, please let me know.

Rabatte is the technical term for the white piece of cloth, and it was only worn for parades. To remind himself not to make a mess of it, Alfons often wore a dead sheep suspended from a ribbon around his throat, as evidenced by the pic posted by Mike Dwyer :cheeky: (The dead sheep is, in fact, the Spanish order of the Golden Fleece.)

To permit wear of decorations when not on parade, the tunic itself sports numerous loops, similar to those evident on the rabatte. The tunic in full dress configuration is shown on plate 5, upper hand corner, of Volume II of Kn?tel/Pietsch/Collas - see below - and in Mike?s postcard. The tunic in daily wear configuration is shown in the pic of Alfons set out earlier in the thread, without the rabatte, and with shoulderboards instead of epaulettes.

Regards,

Sandro