News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greater and Lesser Gesellschaft Tunics

For some time I was under the impression that there was only one style of officers Gesellschaft tunic worn in the DDR. Turns out that this is not true. On my last trip to Berlin I got to see a four pocket Gesellschaft tunic. Actually several from different organizations. I bought one for each organization and they arrived in the mail yesterday. All of the tunics are marked to the MdI and dated in the first or second quarter of 1988 (Y). They are all unissued tunics and still have the makers tags on the sleeves. I'll start with the police tunic. It is a light green with the dark green police piping. All of the others are the same shade of grey and only differ in the colour of the piping. Luckily enough I had been part of a discussion on the WAF a week or so before my trip where we discussed the existance of these tunics and came to the conclusion that they really did exist but only through pictures. Now we have the living proof of their existance.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Paul,

It certainly looks like one. Here is a photo of a police general in the four pocket Gesellschaft tunic handing out awards to police officers.

There are two mysteries about these tunics: 1- why they are not covered in Keubke's book? and 2-why they are so scarce. Scarcity probably has to do with the numbers produced. Since they rarely show up in photographs there could not have been that many made and distributed for wear. My picture comes from a book titles "POLIZEI DES VOLKES" and unfortunately neither the picture nor the book are dated. The book does list a reference in the back dated 1985 so I would take a guess that these tunics were only produced late in the life of the DDR and that is why we do not see more of them.

Paul,

It certainly looks like one. Here is a photo of a police general in the four pocket Gesellschaft tunic handing out awards to police officers.

There are two mysteries about these tunics: 1- why they are not covered in Keubke's book? and 2-why they are so scarce. Scarcity probably has to do with the numbers produced. Since they rarely show up in photographs there could not have been that many made and distributed for wear. My picture comes from a book titles "POLIZEI DES VOLKES" and unfortunately neither the picture nor the book are dated. The book does list a reference in the back dated 1985 so I would take a guess that these tunics were only produced late in the life of the DDR and that is why we do not see more of them.

Thanks for the explanation. I remember placing this tunic on the WAF a few years ago. I was told it was some sort or repro(as if anyone would be repro'ing DDR tunics) or messed with piece. I am certainly glad that I kept it!

I would love to see the "feldgrau" peices fully badged!! There have to be some examples out there.... somewhere!

Paul

Paul,

Glad that you did not accept the WAF explanation. You have a nice original rare piece there. Would like to get one like that myself. Outfitting the "feldgrau" tunics will take a while. I have boxes of boards and collar tabs in storage and don't need to buy more for them. They will eventually be done up correctly.

Regards,

Gordon

Paul,

Glad that you did not accept the WAF explanation. You have a nice original rare piece there. Would like to get one like that myself. Outfitting the "feldgrau" tunics will take a while. I have boxes of boards and collar tabs in storage and don't need to buy more for them. They will eventually be done up correctly.

Regards,

Gordon

I can hardly wait to see what everything looks like assembled! I bet that the Fire Police tunic will look very similar to a General Staff tunic of WW2!

• 3 years later...

Excellent Gordon

I have been holding onto a blank police version like yours. Just about killed myself IDing it because it is so rare.

Did you ever do anything with that one?

I am still sitting on the fence on if I should touch mine.

Regards

Steiner

I would just like to add that I picked up mine at an Army surplus store in Vancouver, Canada around 2008.

Mine like your is unissued and still has the paper tag on the left arm.

PaulR if possible I would like to know if your model has a cufftitle or not.

Regards

Steiner

Hi,

these unissued jackets could be bought in large lots past 1989/1990.

I bought mine, in grey, in light green and dark green for 1 Mark each = 50 Cent.

Mine are from the years 1989 (N), 1988 (Y) and 1987 (L).

"1- why they are not covered in Keubke's book?"

Did Keubke write a book about MdI unforms?

Keubkes book (Militärische Uniformen in der DDR 1949-1990) is about HVA, KVP, NVA, Grenztruppen and Zivilverteidigung, but not about the police (MdI).

Uwe

I would just like to add that I picked up mine at an Army surplus store in Vancouver, Canada around 2008.

Mine like your is unissued and still has the paper tag on the left arm.

PaulR if possible I would like to know if your model has a cufftitle or not.

Regards

Steiner

Hello,

Mine does not have a Cuff Title. What type of CT were you expecting to see?

I was maybe thinking it would have the "Grenztruppen Der DDR" CT as the boarder guards used this colour piping also.

Regards

Steiner

Now that would be cool. I do not think that the CT was worn on these or mess dress type uniforms.