News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Order of the Saur Revolution.

kimj

As this was made at the Russian mint I think it qualify to be posted in this forum. It is the first version of The Order of the Saur Revolution made for Afganistan. It's very heavy and has a look one would not expect from a suspended order.

Anyone else that has Afgani awards?

/Kim

The translation would be something like [courtesy of D.D. at WAF]:

Big text under the star: The People.

Text under big text: Saur Revolution 1357 - Democratic Republic of Afghanistan.

7 Saur 1357 was 27 April 1978, hence "April Revolution".

The reverse: "in the name of the workers and peasants" or "for the glory of the workers and peasants".

I asked my wife who knows Arabic what the text said. Well, what she came up with did not correspond with this text. Close with some words but way of on others.

Here is the reverse. But I did not take a pic of the suspention as it looked like the common Soviet late aluminum "klodotka".

Afghani awards are a bit of a white area on the map. But I have seen this compared with the Soviet Order of the October Revolution.

/Kim

Guest Rick Research

I wonder how long this was awarded or even existed? 1978-79 were years of constant bloody coups in Afghanistan as the rival Communist factions put each other to the sword whenever possible.

See the researched Soviet advisor/divisional commander Red Star for 1979 "before" the Soviet full scale invasion of Afghanistan:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1937

So I wonder if this Order came-- and went-- with the regimes of that period, which only lasted months before their leaders were shot and their supporters smashed and scattered?

That could be an extreme rarity indeed!!!!

I am not sure when they stopped awarding this one. An un-educated guess is first half of the -80s. I should probably get a copy of the Russian book on Afghan awards, but my Russian is poor at best..

On the question on how many awarded... Well, I have mine, no 155, and I have seen no 519. So I think about 1000 or less made would be close to the truth.

I also forgot the best part! This lovely order became mine for 25$ jumping.gif

/Kim

(...) On the question on how many awarded... Well, I have mine, no 155, and I have seen no 519. So I think about 1000 or less made would be close to the truth.

(...)

/Kim

That seems a good estimate. I have not yet seen this order with a serial number higher than 0580.

Ch.

Gerd: Yes, gold and red enamel go very well together beer.gif I only wish it was real gold instead of just plated.

Christophe: What is the lowest number you have seen? The reason I ask is probably because I have read the McDaniel book one too many times... speechless.gif

/Kim

Gerd: Yes, gold and red enamel go very well together beer.gif  I only wish it was real gold instead of just plated.

Christophe: What is the lowest number you have seen? The reason I ask is probably because I have read the McDaniel book one too many times... speechless.gif

/Kim

Kim,

As far as I remember, the lowest number I have seen is... yours (SN 0155) !! Congratulations !!

Maybe others have seen lowest numbers ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Thanks Christophe. What would be the second smallest serial number you have seen... ninja.gif

Also forgot to welcome you here. Welcome!

I would like to add more numbers to this small data base, three numbers counts as pretty small...

/Kim

Thanks Christophe. What would be the second smallest serial number you have seen... ninja.gif

Also forgot to welcome you here. Welcome!

I would like to add more numbers to this small data base, three numbers counts as pretty small...

/Kim

Thanks Kim, for your welcome.

I have in fact no real database for this order, but just saved some pics seen here and there. But I remember that the Serial Numbers where (if I'm right) all in the same range of 5 hundred something. That was intrigating. But the sample of pics I have is very small (around 5-6 I think).

As they are not in this present computer, I'll have to dig in the other one, and I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again for the welcome. smile.gif

Cheers.

Ch.

Thanks for the info. Only in the 500s... Perhaps these are unissued ones from the Mint. That would also explain why they are more common. It would also mean that 1000 is an overestimate of awards made. Or it could just all be coincisidence.

/Kim

Thanks for the info. Only in the 500s... Perhaps these are unissued ones from the Mint. That would also explain why they are more common. (...)

/Kim

That's possible. I don't know if others have explanations or theories about this...

Cheers.

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ed! Have you ever seen an second version with a serial number?

When I get time I'll post the Afghani bravery medal I have. But that is perhaps better done in a new thread. By the way, BIG thanks for your web pages with "obscure" countries awards like Afghani, Iraqi etc! GREAT source of info!

I also like to add that it is nice to see you here at this forum. I enjoyed your posted at the Soviet awards forum.

/Kim

I'd like to thank you for the translation Dave, that I "stole" of WAF. I hope you don't mind.

The reason I wrote the part about Arabic was not that I thought it was Arabic. It is just that many words are similar in the countries/languages dominated by Arabic/Islamic culture. So what better way to check than with a living dictionary at home.. tongue.gif

/Kim

• 1 year later...
    • 13 years later...
    • 5 months later...