News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian Military Sports Badge 1934

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

C... D.... T(urnerbund?) ?(sterreich?). Dated 1934 and with luminous translucent green enamelling. A microscopic faint maker mark appears on the reverse wreath just abocve and to the right of the clip: looks like "MRKWICKA" but is so samll and faint it cannot be scanned.

Political paramilitary? Scanned for a visiting friend.

Rick, did the Austrians use the same symbol for their Turnerbund as the Germans? This symbol definitely was used by Germany and I think it may be more like C. (perhaps Christlicher?) Deutscher Turnerbund Oestringen (or Oeringen, both in Baden-W?rtemberg. Or for that matter any other city or region that might start the O with umlaut.

Richard V

Guest Rick Research

It's the "British cap badge slider" reverse that makes me think of similar Austrian badges. Just guessing.

The slider is unusual for a German badge. I just can't recall seeing an Austrian Turnerbund badge to see if they used the same symbol as the Germans. I"m just guessing too but basing my guess on the front of the badge and the symbol itself. Do you have any idea if this symbol was somewhat universal in central Europe or possibly used by at least the Austrians as well as the Germans?

Richard V

Edited by Richard V

Christlich Deutsche Turnerschaft ?sterreichs = Christian German Gymnasts of Austria

the cross on the badge badge ist formed by 4 x the letter F for 'frisch, fromm, fr?hlich, frei' the motto of the German Turnerbund

seems to be am Members Badge

haynau

Gentlemen,

I think, that's the membership badge of the gymnasts organization ("Turnerbund") of the "Vaterl?ndische Front" from the Christian-Social-Movement in Austria. They had been in competition to the "Deutscher Turnerbund" from the Nazis. I presented such a membership badge here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19881 from Austria of the late 1920s.

The "Krukenkreuz" is the symbol of the "Vaterl?ndische Front" ("Fatherland Front"): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatherland%27...t_%28Austria%29

Best regards :beer:

Christian