News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Home Air Raid Protection and Rescue Branches- SHD, LSW, and RLB

• Replies 117
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

I think this photo is LUFTSCHUTZPOLIZEI ??

attachicon.gifimg781.jpg

Best Morten.

Agree, Luftschutzpolizei

Before, I have said some words about gathering information. To some this means: splashing all their needs of information on a forum, without doing any previous research and investing into a reference library. But I also realise that good books are not known to any one because there are so many titles (for better and worse) that is is difficult to decide what book to buy.

In this particular case, I would advertise a book that I keep in my library at hand (see below). The only problem to some is, it is in German, but with a dictionary and a bit of effort you will find that you have a treasue trove at hand.

Title: Deutsche Polizei-Uniformen 1936-1945

Author: Dieter Deuster

Editor: Motor Buch Verlag

Year: 2009

Edited by Odulf

Agree, Luftschutzpolizei

Before, I have said some words about gathering information. To some this means: splashing all their needs of information on a forum, without doing any previous research and investing into a reference library. But I also realise that good books are not known to any one because there are so many titles (for better and worse) that is is difficult to decide what book to buy.

In this particular case, I would advertise a book that I keep in my library at hand (see below). The only problem to some is, it is in German, but with a dictionary and a bit of effort you will find that you have a treasue trove at hand.

Title: Deutsche Polizei-Uniformen 1936-1945

Author: Dieter Deuster

Editor: Motor Buch Verlag

Year: 2009

So the image is 100% Luftschutzpolizei Odulf?

Best regards,Morten.

• 1 month later...

Recent addition to my collection. Langermass is a street in Cologne. Was there a bunker there?

They wear cloth LSW caps, sanitats and SHD arm bands.Some of their belt buckles look to be unstamped.

Cheers,

Larry

Hello Larry.

You most likely noticed the Bunker mentioned on the sign.I interpret the inscription to indicate that this medical readiness platoon is assigned to the bunker located in Langemass street. To my recollection air raid shelters were most often identified by their location.

Before long these fellows had to show their mettle, the first 1,000 plane raid was directed at Cologne. Some of them were veterans of WW I as their wear of ribbon bars demonstrate.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Thank you.

I would like to know the year this photo was taken. He doesn't seem to be wearing shoulder boards

but there is a heavy seam on the shoulders of his jacket. He is also wearing a LW overseas cap, was this a common practice?

Cheers

Larry

Wearing LW overseas hat was very common.  Fabulous photo. 

Odulf, another great image.  I am surprised by the noncombat medal bars.  He must have had an accident on the civilian side for that scar. 

An excremely rare portrait of a Hitjer Jugend lad with Luftschutz Mütze. He is wearing the typical Dutch Army jacket with over the Original Dutch shoulder straps his HJ shoulder strap (Number 283) and on the left sleeve the Gebietsdreieck (Triangle) Nord - Hamburg-Süd. The only modification is, German buttons replace the Original bronze buttons with a rampant lion armed with sword and a bundle of arrows.

When the Germans invaded The Netherlands they sent the Dutch Army home, and captured all their uniforms, weapons end equipment. Many of the jackets were altered for the Wehrmacht. Generaly the simple standing collar was adapted and in many cases also the breast pockets were modified. Obviously, unaltered uniforms were put to use on the german Home Front. The photo is dated: April 1943. The lad's birthday is 17.4.27.

HJ - 140 - Luftschutz, Bann 283, Nord-Hamburg-Süd @.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wonderful photos indeed! Thanks for keeping this thread going.

I have a nice Luftschutzpolizei photo arriving soon. Luftschutzpolizei replaced the SHD in 1942.

Here is a bad scan. Will post better one when the photo arrives.

Cheers,

Larry

51375.jpg

5 hours ago, Paul R said:

That is another spectacular photo.  

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, LarryT said:

Wonderful photos indeed! Thanks for keeping this thread going.

I have a nice Luftschutzpolizei photo arriving soon. Luftschutzpolizei replaced the SHD in 1942.

Here is a bad scan. Will post better one when the photo arrives.

Cheers,

Larry

51375.jpg

Important for me to keeping thread going.Very Nice rare New photo LarryT,congrats and thanks for posting.Looking for Your New scan!