News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

NGS bars question

Guest Rick Research

My Gordon's "British Battles & Medals" shows the only 1812 Norewgian action bar as "Off Mardoe" for 6 July 1812, HMSs "Dictator," "Calypso," "Podargus," and "Flamer" against the hopelessly outgunned Danish frigate "Nayaden."

No "Boat Action" bar for Norway in 1812 either.

Just one of many ignored and overlooked actions lost to the then recent decades.

Thanks Rick, that's pretty much what i found too. The action happened on the 2nd August 1812 just half a mile or so away from my home. It resulted in a British victory. I know at least some NGS medals exist named to Horatio, one came up for sale at DNW a while back, but clearly not for this particular action. Would be nice if i could pick one up one day although i'm not going to hold my breath.

Here's a short account of the action from the period.

He was then appointed to H.M.S. Amiable, on the North Sea Station, commanded by his former Captain, Lord George Stuart, becoming about the end of the year her first Lieut.; and on his Lordship's removal to the Horatio, in 1810, first of that ship, and served in her till his wounds obliged

him to go to the hospital for cure, in Sept., 1812; and he was promoted for his services to the rank of Commander on the 11th Dec. of that year. During the period above mentioned he participated in all the services of his gallant Captain (and for which that officer received the Order of the Bath, on its extension in 1814); but was severely wounded, the following account showing how it occurred. In August, 1812, he was sent by Lord George Stuart, with the Horatio's barge and three six-oared cutters, to attack some enemy's vessels at Trompsen [sic], on the coast of Norway, and succeeded in boarding and bringing out all that were in that port; viz., a schooner and cutter of His Danish Majesty's Navy, and a ship of 400 tons, their prize, after a most determined resistance. His right hand was shattered by a grape-shot as the boats he commanded were advancing to the attack, and he received a pistol-shot in his left arm when in the act of boarding the enemy's second vessel of war, after having carried the first, as is detailed in a letter from Lord George Stuart, published in the Gazette of Aug. 25th, 1812.

Link

Out of interest the 400 ton merchant ship mentioned above is stated as being American in other sources.

Guest Rick Research

Certainly sounds like a "boat" action bar SHOULD have been issued! If I read Gordon correctly, bars were authorized that were never awarded (no one applied) and yet here is a case where a "Hornblower" action was IGNORED.

Bureaucracy... always the same. rolleyes.gif