News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tank Ace

Why you ask? Let me tell you.......

In 83 days of combat, Sgt. Pool and his tank crew were credited with destroying 258 enemy vehicles. This included tanks, SP guns, and armored cars. He and his crew killed over 1,000 enemy soldiers and took over 250 prisoners.

He participated in, and was the lead tank in 21 engagements. He commanded 3 different Sherman tanks, all named "In The Mood". He knocked out no less than 12 German tanks, most of which were superior to the Sherman. He had a habit of going after Panthers and was known to get in and mix it up.

Pool was twice recommended for the Congressional Medal of Honor. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Legion of Merit, the Silver Star, and the Purple Heart. He also received the Belgian Fourrag?re and the French Legion of Honor.

Not too bad............... :rolleyes:

I had no idea that an American was the top tank ace of WW2. I wonder what became of him after the war.

He was taken out of combat as a result of wounds leading to losing his leg. So great was his talent, he was later recalled by the Army to instruct, and eventually he retired from the Army a living legend.

He was quite a guy Paul. Not well known, but then again, he racked up that reputation in only 83 days. Imagine if he had a little time. I'd love to have seen what he could have done in a Pershing.

• 4 months later...

I would like to know information on it as well, I was an Armor crewmen on an M1A1 Tank in O.I. F I.

I always loved the Tanker Ace, and didn't know we had one in or WWII history. The WWII German Panzer Aces was all knew.

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

• 1 year later...

My choice would be Michael Wittman,

Total victories (kills):

- 141 tanks,

- 132 antitank guns

Includes the destruction of between 10 and 11 tanks, 2 anti-tank guns and 13 personnel carriers within a 15 minute period during the Battle of Villers-Bocage on June 13, 1944.

I think it's a difficult term to measure. Should it be measured by the number of kills? Should the type of vehicle destroyed be taken into consideration? I mean destroying 100 soft-skinned vehicles does not, in my book, make an ace.

With the 88mm the Germans could engage at great distances, relatively safely so does that make one an ace?

The Sherman was under gunned until the Firefly(?) with the 17pdr came along so to take out any of the heavy German panzers before that came along was quite a feat.

How does one define 'Tank Ace'?

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

Wittman for sheer numbers....

but I always think Wittman going into battle with a Tiger tank was like turning up to a knife fight with a machine gun.

The true test of the warrior could only be to put Wittman in a Sherman and send him up against 3 tigers... and then count his kills.

Same idea... imagine pool on a Tiger with 3 years to wrack up kills...

Wittman for sheer numbers....

but I always think Wittman going into battle with a Tiger tank was like turning up to a knife fight with a machine gun.

The true test of the warrior could only be to put Wittman in a Sherman and send him up against 3 tigers... and then count his kills.

Same idea... imagine pool on a Tiger with 3 years to wrack up kills...

Plus Pool survived to enjoy his victories, whereas Wittman got spread all over a paddock in Normandy...