News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Occupation money ?

jasmor58

Hello,

Yes, this is an occupation money issued by the Japanese Government for occupied Malaya.

M in serial mark means Malaya.

They also issued money for Burma (B), Oceania(O), Philippines(P) and Netherlands India (Shonan-S).

pluribus

Edited by pluribus

What an interesting topic. Curious how they printed them in English?

Not only in English. They also printed in Dutch for Netherlandish India (De Japansche Regeering insteed of The Japanese Government). Considering the anti-netherlandish stand on Java and Sumatra the Dutch text was changed to Javanese (Pemerintah Dai Nippon) in 1943.

Here is 100 Rupees for Burma (B for Burma).

Edited by pluribus

Any idea why they bothered at all, and didn`t just say right heres the Yen take it or leave it, your national currency is now worthless?

Allowing the yen to circulate freely in occuipied territories would have been a dangerous economic strategy since it would have reduced the Bank of Japan's ability to protect the currency. The Japanese economy at the time was not large or strong enough to absorb external shocks on its currency, hence they created this occupation currency which was completely worthless in reality.

There are also notes for Australia, which were obviously never issued but they were printed and can be found without much difficulty.

Thanks to all who have responded to the initial question. When I was given this, with one other rather tatty one ,which thanks to pluribus I now know that it was intended for Burma. Initially to me, a medal collector they were just little bits of worthless paper. But now that I know a little bit more about them, I see them in a different light.

Jim Morrison.

Allowing the yen to circulate freely in occuipied territories would have been a dangerous economic strategy since it would have reduced the Bank of Japan's ability to protect the currency. The Japanese economy at the time was not large or strong enough to absorb external shocks on its currency, hence they created this occupation currency which was completely worthless in reality.

There are also notes for Australia, which were obviously never issued but they were printed and can be found without much difficulty.

Makes perfect sense, I suppose.

I read an interesting book a while ago, about how the Japanesse plundered SE Asia, in much the same way as Germany did Europe.

Hello,

Yes, this is an occupation money issued by the Japanese Government for occupied Malaya.

M in serial mark means Malaya.

They also issued money for Burma (B), Oceania(O), Philippines(P) and Netherlands India (Shonan-S).

pluribus

If anyone is interested in continuing this thread, I can add some other examples. When I collected coins and paper money, my main focus was military and occupation money. We've already seen 10 Dollars from Malaysia and 100 Rupees from Burma.

Here is 10 Gulden from the Netherlands East Indies: