News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

London Gazette Help

A good friend has British Military Medal to one of his relatives a Private Thomas Mulrenan no 18383 of the 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers on display in his house. There is a piece of paper with it stating that the medal was listed in the Gazette on 26.4.17. I have tried everything to get a copy on line of the listing but just do not seem to know how to appease the Gazette's computer to show the listing. I have tried his name, serial number the time period and I always get zip.

Any help in acquiring the official listing would be greatly appreciated. The individial I am trying to do this for is a WW II Vet who war awarded a Silver Star, Bronze Star with V device and two Purple Hearts from the 3rd Division.

Thanks

Jim

A good friend has British Military Medal to one of his relatives a Private Thomas Mulrenan no 18383 of the 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers on display in his house. There is a piece of paper with it stating that the medal was listed in the Gazette on 26.4.17. I have tried everything to get a copy on line of the listing but just do not seem to know how to appease the Gazette's computer to show the listing. I have tried his name, serial number the time period and I always get zip.

Any help in acquiring the official listing would be greatly appreciated. The individial I am trying to do this for is a WW II Vet who war awarded a Silver Star, Bronze Star with V device and two Purple Hearts from the 3rd Division.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Try this link: http://beta.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF....mp;all=Mulrenan

See righthand column, 4th name from the top.

This seems to be your man. He was listed in the Edinburgh edition of the Gazette and his number is different. Nevertheless it appears to be the same guy, T. Mulrenan of Royal Dublin Fusiliers award the Military Medal on 26 April 1917.

Hope this helps?

Lee

Edited by PsyWar.Org

The National Archives has the Medal Index Cards of 8 Mulrenans listed, none for a Mulrenan with number 18383:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

The man in the Gazette entry linked above is first in the list - unfortunately unless you know some more details about T Mulrenan of the Munsters you can't go straight to his Medal Index Card & it'll cost ?3.50 each time you check a card, but it looks like the man most likely is the Mulrenan in the Gazette entry who presumably changed regiments & numbers at some time?

And here's the list of Thomas Mulrenans whose pension records are available on Ancestry.co.uk - one, but again, you pay to find out if he's your man, & of course he won't be there if he did'nt receive a pension:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...p;gst=&so=3

This is the bloke Leigh found:

Name: Thomas Mulrenan

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887

Age at enlistment: 30

Residence: 47 Lancaster Ave, Liscard Cheshire

Document Year: 1917

Regimental Number: 277682

He was RE and the year of acceptance doesn't fit either.

And here's the list of Thomas Mulrenans whose pension records are available on Ancestry.co.uk - one, but again, you pay to find out if he's your man, & of course he won't be there if he did'nt receive a pension:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.d...p;gst=&so=3

It's not him. He's an R.E. discharged at home valvular disease of the heart.

• 6 years later...

Hi Jim, reference Thomas Mulrenan MM. Recently visited France with friends to pay respects to the fallen and in particular Thomas Mulrenan. We believe our friend is related to Thomas ( still tracing back) the families are from the same town in Co Roscommon. I saw your post from 2007 regarding your friend being related and owning his MM. Would be good to get any history regarding Thomas and family your friend may have