Hi Matty

He was a member of FFA 52 when he was brought down on 04.03.1915. The award info from his BAMA file differs from  "your" list. I do think Hohenzollern should instead be Sächsiche Albrecht Kreuz and vwAbz should be in silber.

After the War he lead an Freikorps aviation unit.

Gunnar

LOL, I thought I was the only one reading back issues of the Ostpreussenblatt.

@Gunnar, do You refer to Fischer or to Ammon?

In my files I do not have an Albrecht for Ammon, but I have some "suspects" units for Mr. Fischer.

Best,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I refer to Gotthard Ammon.  In his file there are no notes on any Hohenzollern award. He had a very short front line servicing time so any Hohx award is "impossible", also his EKI award is probably from 1919.  The awards given in his file are : EKII, EKI, Meckl.V.Kr, Sächs.Albr.Kr, Baltenkreuz, ErrAbz, Silb.vwAbz.

Dont knew if the Sächs. Alb.Kr was given out during 1919

Gunnar

Hi Gunnar,

thanks a lot!

Albrechts were indeed handed out during the end of the war without being properly published.

All the best and stay safe!

Daniel

Thank you Gunnar & Daniel for the information. 
Hi Vince, there must be at least a half-dozen of us in total !!!

Wow! 

Never heard of posthumous awards like that!

Will check if I have anything more about him.

I think it is possible, that the award was already done as he was still alive but the procedure took too long that that nice cross reached him in lifetime.

BTW, 117 and 118 were both Hessen  regiments and in the very same brigade, so a transfer was quite thinkable.

Best,

Daniel 

Fritz Kraus, born 27.2.1882 in Homburg vor der Höhe, was the commander of III./Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 118. He was promoted to Leutnant der Reserve on 19.12.1907, Oberleutnant der Reserve on 22.3.1915 and Hauptmann der Reserve on 20.2.1918. He was in LIR 118 when he was promoted to Oberleutnant in March 1915, so he apparently spent most of the war in that regiment. I don't know if that regiment had a regimental history.

Kraus was a Reichsbank-Beamter in Oldenburg according to the 1911 rank list for reserve officers and the 1917 address book for Oldenburg. He was apparently not senior enough in the Reichsbank to have an entry in the 1918 Handbuch für das Deutsche Reich.

Given his regimental affiliation, he would doubtless have received the Hesse Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen "Für Tapferkeit". The Oldenburg connection might have gotten him a Friedrich-August-Kreuz. Unfortunately, both of these are awards for which no rolls exist.

Hi Daniel, 
Yes it certainly seems probable that the award was approved either just before or just after his death. 
Hi Dave, 
Thanks for the extra career info. You are correct in your assumption regarding his other awards. 
I found this in another newspaper dated 31st October 1918:-

Kraus, Fritz1.JPG

Hi Daniel

I have found may be one another Saxon officer who received the HOH3X.

Found in the Riesaer Tagesblatt of 4 november 1918

image.png.c4c15360cea2f1bacb884c468106230f.png

It's the best I can do, sorry

Christophe

Posted (edited)

Hi Christophe, 
We discussed this mystery man briefly on page 16. 

Here is a snippet relating to Lt dR Adolf Motsch, but I'm not sure if the award should be the HOH3x or the HEK3x. I couldn't find his name in the Militär-Wochenblatt. 

Best Regards, 
Matt. 

Motsch, Adolf.jpg

Edited by Mattyboy

Posted (edited)

Hi Matt

Adolf Motsch received the Ehrenkreuz 3. Kl. mit Scwertern (The Princely Honour cross of Hohenzollern)on 8 August 1917. This is not the House Order of the Hohenzollern.

The Chief of the FR 40 was the Prince Wilhelm of Hohenzollern

Christophe

Edited by Deruelle

Hi Christophe, 
Thanks for the confirmation! Ok here is a list of HOH3x recipients from IR 75. Unfortunately I don't own the book.

IR 75 - Hohenzollern, EK1.JPG

On 22/07/2012 at 01:38, Dave Danner said:

I found this picture of Oberstleutnant a.D. August von Avemann in a magazine for veterans of 1. Nassauisches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.27 Oranien. Unfortunately, all I have is this grainy scan, but below the photo is my best guess/reconstruction of the ribbon bar, using Lukasz Gaszewski's ribbon images. I would guess the one unidentified ribbon is the Hessen-Darmstadt Tapferkeitsmedaille. I base this on the pattern and the proximity of the Frankfurt-based regiment to Hesse, though it could be something similar like the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz.

The neck decoration is an Ehrenritterkreuz of the Johanniterorden, by the way. Very similar to a plM, especially in a black & white photo.

Avemann was born in Weimar on 18 March 1869. He served in 1.GFAR from 1890 to 1893, and then went to FAR 27. He served in FAR 27 from October 1893 to February 1917, when he became commander of LFAR 15 and Art.Kdr. of 15. Landwehr-Division. He also briefly was detached to command an Austro-Hungarian brigade, and then returned to FAR 27 as regimental commander on 19 October 1917. He remained in command of the regiment through the end of the war.

post-432-0-44114000-1342913082.jpg

Is it common practice to wear the HOH3X double? Both on the ribbon bar and seperately in the buttonhole 

Probably just a small mistake. He most likely quickly popped it on for a picture and forgot it's also on his ribbonbar. Perhaps a picture for the 'Mistakes in Wear'-thread.

Kind regards, Laurentius