News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbons bars with spanish medals

Jacques

Guest Rick Research

Yes, now every "Condor" bar I see, I start to twitch, Jacques!!! ohmy.giflaugh.gif

Everything on the FRONT looks 1942+, the final pattern swords all match. The metal backing plate is original...

but the "Feldgrau" backing seems rather... "hairy," and I would normally expect a Luftwaffe "Abzeichentuch" backing for MOST (not all) Luftwaffe ribbon bars.

I am becoming increasingly more paranoid... but the fresh cut ends of the backing and just like NEW edges of the ribbons sticking out at both sides...

[attachmentid=9255]

I don't know. I'd expect that sort of "fuzz" to be worn away after 60+ years. But then the bar is MINT...

you have it in your hands-- what do YOU think about it?

Hi Rick,

That's the same way for me with these ribbons bars.

I've nothing in my hands to compare. I have another good one with no backing, and a third original one which seems to have the same kind of backing.

These one is new, mint condition . wink.gif Can't say more.

i don't want to seem a blind, cock-eyed optimist,

but with so little obvious wear, and a small bit of

oxidation of the swords, could this not conceivably

be exactly that: a period mint ribbon bar with little or no wear?

i propose this only for the sake of discussion. my

knowledge of these is not complete enough to make

a firm statement on it.

best,

joe

Guest Rick Research

beer.gifExactly right, Joe! But Jacques has turned up some SCARY if they are bad "all original parts" type bars...

and Third Reich era fakes in the right hands with the right materials are getting more and more difficult to tell from originals. angry.gif

Hence the characteristic "Ribbon Bar Twitch" among Old Collectors. cheeky.gif

For our ongoing Battle Against The Dark Forces, see the sadly all too regularly updated "Fake Ribbon Bars Of The Week" thread in the Imperial Forum.

Jaques,

The back looks similar to those offered very often by eBay seller baff002, who does not have reputation for good original ribbon bars.

Please bear in mind that this is just my impression, as I am really not in a position to judge whether the bar you show is good or not.

Sorry for making negative comments that I cannot support, but do a search on baff002 and see what you find.

/David

beer.gifExactly right, Joe! But Jacques has turned up some SCARY if they are bad "all original parts" type bars...

and Third Reich era fakes in the right hands with the right materials are getting more and more difficult to tell from originals.  angry.gif

Hence the characteristic "Ribbon Bar Twitch" among Old Collectors.  cheeky.gif

For our ongoing Battle Against The Dark Forces, see the sadly all too regularly updated "Fake Ribbon Bars Of The Week" thread in the Imperial Forum.

DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!!!

abba bin campbell

Don't worry David, I asked the question about "familiar" because I wanted more explanation.

Ribbon bars aren't my field and I know that fakes/new assemblies are running the market nowadays. This one is mint and I needed some advice to comfort my purchase. It can be genuine / new assembly with good spareparts / totally fake ; I tend for the first and asked for other knowledgeable opinions. You're welcome and thanks for your comments.

This one came from the auction www.militaria.de , Torsten Sch?ler alias "Thor1918".

jacques

Jaques,

The back looks similar to those offered very often by eBay seller baff002, who does not have reputation for good original ribbon bars.

Please bear in mind that this is just my impression, as I am really not in a position to judge whether the bar you show is good or not.

Sorry for making negative comments that I cannot support, but do a search on baff002 and see what you find.

/David

Guest Rick Research

beer.gif There is NO way to duplicate honest age and wear. Very often the Spanish awards are mounted incorrectly in front of German awards... like the Luftwaffe 4 stuck on the end there.

I see no evidence that the tabs have ever been moved, so this is an "Ugly"-- a period mounting mistake.

The thin, nickled steel tabs are almost guaranteed to snap off if anyone tries monkeying around with a rusty, well worn bar like this.