News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Maria Theresa Silver Thaler

Here is my example. It was found at a Silver Souk in Bahrain. It looks quite old, by the patina. Is there anyway to date it? There is writing on the rim as well... It definitely looks as if it has seen a trade route or two!

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clara Semple's book on these coins is a must. They were issued in their millions by various mints through out Europe including, if I recall correctly, the Royal Mint. They spread all over Arabia, Eat Africa and even further afield. It is more than likely that the silver in the above illustrated necklace started life as coins. They are plentiful in Yemen and were even used as blanks to be restamped with the coinage of the Imams.

Regards,

Owain

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, I think its fair to say that your thaler, will be the real deal, given where you bought it. Its really interesting just how far a field these little coins travelled. If your interested in collecting them I can`t stress enough what valuable source of information Clara`s book is.

Chris, you`ve got some beautiful items there. Thats another joy about these coins, that they open a whole new collecting field, when they`ve been made into something. Especailly if the history of them is known.

• 1 month later...

So I bought a bunch of these thalers while in Yemen, but the I came home and one of them was "different" (I wasn't paying attention when buying it). Can anybody help me out here - what DID I buy?

:cheers:

It's the exact same size though and clearly there are similarities... maybe a fake, maybe something interesting - who knows? :jumping:

I dont think that it is fake at all... I think it could be something a bit more special.

Coin jewlery is/was pretty common, at least in The Peninsula: "Trade dollars" (= MT thalers), Indian rupees, even Italian stuff out of East Africa. You could occasionally find these thalers in India (not so much in Mumbai, but north into coastal Gujarat and, I am told, further south along the Karnataka coast). (Not much Indian interest in silver, they wanted European [really American] gold.) I picked up a great stack of these in Doha where they were available (quite literally) by the kilo.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

So I bought a bunch of these thalers while in Yemen, but the I came home and one of them was "different" (I wasn't paying attention when buying it). Can anybody help me out here - what DID I buy?

:cheers:

It's an 1829 Thaler of King Franz II, later Emperor Franz I, grandfather of Franz Josef, from the Vienna mint. Much less common.

• 1 year later...
    • 9 years later...