Igor, I think it would be hard to pinpoint the period of these awards as they have been used with the same design throughout their whole existences.

The medal above is one of the oldest Romanian decorations. It existed with that design since 1870 if I remember correctly. Following the introduction of the "cross", it came to be known as "The Peacetime Military Virtue Medal".

The "cross" was established in 1880 to reward outstanding bravery acts during the war, hence its name "The Wartime Military Virtue Medal". Since WWI it was the highest bravery award for lower ranks. It used the same design during its whole existence.

I believe there is a Modern Reproduction made since the Revolution of 1989 out there as well.

Will try to locate some pictures.

(FRONT)

From my collection the gold looking one on the left is a modern repro.

There is a version with a ball mount for the ribbon ring, (Right) and another lversion centre.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

I believe there is a Modern Reproduction made since the Revolution of 1989 out there as well.

As mentioned in another post, there was an initiative to manufacure replacements for the awards lost or confiscated from war veterans. I guess yours could be one of those.

Hallo Gents. :beer:

the weights of the medals are:

Ball Type Ribbon ring holder: 18 gram.

Wire Type Ribbon ring holder: 19 gram.

The ball type appears to be in Silver, and is cast. -38mm X 38 tips of the arms of the cross.

The wire type appears to be in Silver-gilt, and is struck. -38mm X 38mm, tips of the arms of the cross.

The Repro type is no longer with me, at Christmas time 2006,

a Romanian WW2 Veteran called to the Hobby Club looking to obtain

a replacement Military Virtue Medal and I made a gift of mine to him.

(I hate to blow my own trumpet about this :blush:)

By the way the reason so many of these medals carry scratches,

is the fact they are being checked to see if they are REAL Silver!!

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...