News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

:banger:

Why didn?t they have color photos in 1918? :rolleyes:

It would helped a lot!!! This new pic shows a man awarded with 9 awards and I can?t read more than 2?

Am I old and half-blind (yes but besides that) Urrghh , can anyone with eagleyes help me?

It looks to me as EKII with small EK?, Red eagle?, and ?, ?, and ? ??? and the second last looks to me as an Hohenzollern?

at the end ..... pleaaaase help me before I go insane and start..... to collect Romanian whiskey bottles or something.

S.O.S

Christer

Edited by Bayoswede

:banger:

Why didn?t they have color photos in 1918? :rolleyes:

It would helped a lot!!! This new pic shows a man awarded with 9 awards and I can?t read more than 2?

Am I old and half-blind (yes but besides that) Urrghh , can anyone with eagleyes help me?

It looks to me as EKII with small EK?, Red eagle?, and ?, ?, and ? ??? and the second last looks to me as an Hohenzollern?

at the end ..... pleaaaase help me before I go insane and start..... to collect Romanian whiskey bottles or something.

S.O.S

Christer

Here is a close up on the ribbon bar !

Guest Rick Research

Well, he's a Bandmaster, which doesn't help either since

a) not in Rank Lists, and

b) they got WEIRD awards anyway

I would say what he's got are

1) EK2 with that stupid mini device

2) Prussian Cross of the General Decoration (for lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng service-- compare color to next ribbon)

3) Prussian General Decoration in silver medal (same as Red eagle Order)

4) Prussian Long Service award*

5) 1897 Centenary Medal**

6) Lippe-Detmold wartime KVK

7) ?

8)?

9) ?

What he is wearing is in correct "Super Prussian" precedence with EVERYTHING Prussian first and then ALL "foreign" (non-Prussian) awards following.

As for * and ** remember the spectrum shift in these old photos, that trick of the technology which made dark blue look light and pale yellow come out looking almost black.

I just can't think off hand of anything that would bear a crown and Xs device for that next to last one, whether the "dark" is actually dark or "tricky" yellow.

He appears to be the Bandmaster (Obermusikmeister) of one of the Foot Guards Regiments 1 - 4 or the Garde-F?silier-Regiment judging by the lack of a cypher on the boards and double litzen. These then are the primary suspects - all serving 14-18:

Max Graf 2. GRzF

Hugo Goerisch 3. GRzF

Heinrich Schrader 4. GRzF

Heinrich Dippel Garde-F?silier-Regiment

He is definitely not Fritz Brase of 1 GRzF and he actually does not look like Hugo Goerisch of 3. GRzF.

Regards

Glenn

Well, he's a Bandmaster, which doesn't help either since

a) not in Rank Lists, and

b) they got WEIRD awards anyway

I would say what he's got are

1) EK2 with that stupid mini device

2) Prussian Cross of the General Decoration (for lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng service-- compare color to next ribbon)

3) Prussian General Decoration in silver medal (same as Red eagle Order)

4) Prussian Long Service award*

5) 1897 Centenary Medal**

6) Lippe-Detmold wartime KVK

7) ?

8)?

9) ?

What he is wearing is in correct "Super Prussian" precedence with EVERYTHING Prussian first and then ALL "foreign" (non-Prussian) awards following.

As for * and ** remember the spectrum shift in these old photos, that trick of the technology which made dark blue look light and pale yellow come out looking almost black.

I just can't think off hand of anything that would bear a crown and Xs device for that next to last one, whether the "dark" is actually dark or "tricky" yellow.

:cheers:

THANKS RICK !

You are the man!!

And my German freind is a Bandsman .......

When I looked again at this tiny bar at the pic , it really lokks like the nr 8 isn?t a crown, could it be Baden? Z?hringer L?wen??

the pic is stamped Deustche Presse Photo Zentrale Berlin on back.

Thanks again , Hawkeye

Christer

Guest Rick Research

No, there wouldn't be a crown on a Z?hringen Lion. It LOOKS like a Saxon Albert Order ribbon but that is clearly impossible with his rank.

I think also that the white edge on the final ribbon may be the metal backing of the ribbon bar sticking out, so that's another mystery one.

:D

Thanks Rick, Glenn ( Now I am down to four suspects!!! ) and webr55

I am still wondering about the second from the end..... When I look close it looks less and less as a crown and more like something else?

webr : what is SiamKr5, sp MVO and T?rM5

I suppose a unit like the Guards Rgt get awards from a lot of countries during State visits and so on?

Is there any good books about theese guards rgts? Glenn? I suppose you must have something.

This forum is just great ! (or the members in it)

Thanks again for all help

Christer

what is SiamKr5, sp MVO and T?rM5

These are: Siamese Order of the crown 5th class, Spanish Military merit order (class?) and Turkish (actually Ottoman) Medjidie order 5th class. Very exotic, and your explanation might be right. " I suppose a unit like the Guards Rgt get awards from a lot of countries during State visits and so on?". Mostly, they have not even been there, but someone from there was here and gave those things out ... :speechless:

:D

Thanks Rick, Glenn ( Now I am down to four suspects!!! ) and webr55

If it has to be one of those, then you're down to two. The awards do not match with Graf, and if he doesn't look like Goerisch, it has to be either Schrader or Dippel.

• 1 year later...

If it has to be one of those, then you're down to two. The awards do not match with Graf, and if he doesn't look like Goerisch, it has to be either Schrader or Dippel.

Hello all!

I can confirm that he is NOT Heinrich Dippel.

Best,

Ivan

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread to add some information:

This would indeed appear to be Heinrich Schrader of the 4.GRzF (1860-1931).

As for the last three ribbons, based on the attached biography, they are:

(7) China, Order of the Double Dragon - probably IV Class based on rank,CDIV in the Prussian ranklists

(8) Sweden, Order of the Sword, Sword Sign (Svärdstecknet) - SS4, a recipient was called a "swordsman", svärdsmän in Swedish, Schwertmann in German

(9) Japan, Order of the Rising Sun - probably Knight 2nd Class/6th Class, or JV6

As for (5), this is not Lippe. Another one of those hard-to-read ones because of the color shift on black-and-white photographs, but this should be the Gold Merit Medal from Mecklenburg-Strelitz, which Schrader received on 21 July 1914.

Goldene_Verdienstmedaille_Mecklenburg-St309px-SwordWCrev.jpg

:jumping: :jumping:

Wow Thanks Dave !

I´m just making a database for German with Sword Order and then I myself have a Photo of a man with Swordssign which was very rare !!

And Decorations from China and Japan ? No wonder that I get lost in trying to find those ribbons out :whistle:

Thanks for a early Christmas present Dave

Christer