News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

what kind of medal?

Roeland

hello,

I came across a medal and it looked very nice, but I have no clue what it is for.

The seller states it is the medal: MERITE FRANCAIS OUTRE MER.

I've tried to look it up on the internet but can't find any information or pictures, only the name showed up.

It looks very interesting and I would like to buy it, who can help me with information?

information about the sizes of the grades are also very welcome.

any information welcome

thank you

c4e91vw2.jpgc2241nv6.jpg

kind regards,

Roeland

Edited by Roeland

Hello Roeland,

Jeff is right : a veteran society's award and likely to be a local one as well.

It would appear to be called the "French Order of Merit Overseas" (Ordre du M?rite Fran?ais d'Outre Mer) on the obverse.

As the reverse bears the name Marseille, I'm leaning towards a local branch decoration and the society concerned is abbreviated A.N.O.F.O.M. (Anciens N .... O.... Fran?ais Outre Mer ???). The date might refer to the foundation of that local branch ...

In any case, not an official French government award but one of the many unofficial veteran societies' awards that abound in France (and some other countries :rolleyes: ).

Cheers,

Hendrik

hello,

thanks for the replies, it sure is usefull, I'm planning on buying it.

France has many unofficial veteran orders indeed, any idea why?

is it for recognising the ones that fought or where stationed somewhere, or perhaps

just for the rank the one has within the organisation?

kind regards,

Roeland

... any idea why?

is it for recognising the ones that fought or where stationed somewhere, or perhaps

just for the rank the one has within the organisation?

Hello Roeland,

I have the impression those awards mainly serve to indicate membership to the organisation concerned and higher classes of the decorations or medals seem to be reflecting the length of membership, sometimes combined with the importance of the recipient within its society.

Cheers,

Hendrik