News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Comemorative medal

Alex K

Anyone give me the low down on this? I think it's Austrian (eagle looks Austrian) but apart from it being issued after the war, due to the dates I don't know anything else about it. is the ribbon correct, I suspect not since it is in fact german

regards

Alex

The ribbon is more normaly associated with the Prussian for the War Help Service Cross. 1916 - 1924.

Early pieces were issued in Silver, Silver-Gilt late War and post WW1 were issued in Zink (Kriegsmetal).

Maker Mark on reverse.

I believe the Cross on yours is Austrian, a Post Ww1 Commemorative, any chance of a better picture of the writing on the rear??

Kevin in Deva.

@alex k

the center pic explains everything. the cross is from the Ehrenbund deutscher Weltkriegsteilnehmer e.V.

e.V. stands for eingetragener Verein = registrated association

a german veterans-organisation post 1918

if the cross was given for merit or just membership i don't know

regards

haynau

Edited by haynau

Both the cross and the ribbon are German, but don't belong together. Haynau's right. =)

Early pieces were issued in Silver, Silver-Gilt late War and post WW1 were issued in Zink (Kriegsmetal).

Probably not. All awarded Kriegshilfskreuze were in zinc, as I know. The silvered pieces, or real silver ones were private purchase.

Probably not. All awarded Kriegshilfskreuze were in zinc, as I know. The silvered pieces, or real silver ones were private purchase.

Alex's Cross does bear a superficial resemblence to an Austrian Commemorative for WW1 as well, must take a look for it in my reference files.

Many thanks for the clarification on that, saschaw :jumping:

my source was verbal and at a militaria show in Germany about 6 years ago, as I recall. :blush:

Kevin in Deva. :cheers: