News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese style Auxiliary Cruiser

Hi Martin,

I'm trying to get some further information from my research in Japanese archives.

But I don't expect any success. If any of these decorations are made privately (e.g. any jeweler), it'll be impossible to find out some trustful information...

BR,

Chris

Edited by Gensui

• Replies 171
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello!

To the contrary is proved,i think that these are made in Germany (Auxiliary Cruiser).I think some wanted a slightely different design and derfor they differ a little in form.I do not think that a Japanese Company would use the stamp"Sterling"

All the best

Morten.

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions Morten but i guarantee that these badges were "not" made in Germany.

First,they match no known German design and why would a German manufacturer produce a few hundred badges because "some wanted a slightly different design" and then ship them all the way to Japan ??????

I also think that a "Japanese Jeweler" is more likely to use the word "sterling" on the reverse of his wares than a major German award manufacturer during WWII.

I could go on here but i ask other members who collect KM awards,and especially if you have some Hilfskreuzer awards in your collection,do you honestly think that these sterling and tombak "Japanese" awards were made in Germany ??

I know what i think,what do you think?

Thanks and regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Hello,

here is another photo from my collection, please look at the photographer stamp!

I dont know the name of the soldier, but it must be an member of the "Thor" or "Michel".

What do you think, another jap. made auxiliary cruiser badge?

Regards,

Monsun

Hi Guys,

On close comparison of Monsun's second portrait photo with Martin's Schwerin and Japanese Hilfskreuzer badges, I think we can definitely say it's another example of the Japanese badge in wear. Despite the differences in angle, you can see key areas that correspond with the Japanese badge like the high eagle's head, lack of post at the stern, tall bottom wreath ribbon and matching position of the lines of longitude.

Best regards,

---Norm

Edited by Norm F

I do not think that a Japanese Company would use the stamp"Sterling"

All the best

Morten.

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions Morten but i guarantee that these badges were "not" made in Germany.

First,they match no known German design and why would a German manufacturer produce a few hundred badges because "some wanted a slightly different design" and then ship them all the way to Japan ??????

I also think that a "Japanese Jeweler" is more likely to use the word "sterling" on the reverse of his wares than a major German award manufacturer during WWII.

I could go on here but i ask other members who collect KM awards,and especially if you have some Hilfskreuzer awards in your collection,do you honestly think that these sterling and tombak "Japanese" awards were made in Germany ??

I know what i think,what do you think?

Thanks and regards,Martin.

Hi Guys,

I believe we can say Japan without a shadow of a doubt. Not only is the design and manufacture of the badge uniquely different from any German made war badge, but the only two photos seen to date showing the badge in wear (posted by Monsun) were both taken in Japan. The clincher is the information on this reference website on silver hallmarks around the world, http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks2.html , an excerpt of which I've attached here which shows that between 1928 and 1954 Japan used the "STERLING" mark.

Best regards,

---Norm

The clincher is the information on this reference website on silver hallmarks around the world, http://www.925-1000.com/foreign_marks2.html , an excerpt of which I've attached here which shows that between 1928 and 1954 Japan used the "STERLING" mark.

Best regards,

---Norm

Excellent.

Thanks for this information Norm.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Hi Guys,

On close comparison of Monsun's second portrait photo with Martin's Schwerin and Japanese Hilfskreuzer badges, I think we can definitely say it's another example of the Japanese badge in wear. Despite the differences in angle, you can see key areas that correspond with the Japanese badge like the high eagle's head, lack of post at the stern, tall bottom wreath ribbon and matching position of the lines of longitude.

Best regards,

---Norm

Great comparison images Norm.

As always,well presented and informative.

Thank you,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Hi guys!

A few thoughts and observations from japanese point of view :)

As for today we observe the following variations of this Japanese made Auxiliary Cruiser Badge

• in silver without meridians (mark STERLING under the hook)
    • in silver with meridians (mark STERLING under the hook)
    • in silver with meridians (upside down mark STERLING under the hook)
    • in silver with meridians (mark STERLING above the hook)
    • in tombac with meridians (umarked)
    Let`s examine them ;) Edited by JapanX

Range of problems

Well here comes the list of problems guys.

First of all I think we have too many variations of the badge that was manufactured by one (pretty mysterious) workshop in Yokohama.

Second we have very untypical for japanese badge fitting.

Third we have very untypical for japanese silver badges (and japanese awards that were made in silver in general) marking STERLING.

Allow me to demonstrate.

Edited by JapanX