News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cawnpores and Bombay Bowlers

I'm curious, how common were they in the Victorian era? I was under the impression these helmets were purely twentieth century pieces, and, while admittedly I'm much more knowledgeable about African than Indian colonialism, but I can't remember seeing a Victorian-era picture of anyone (civilian or military) in this type of cover. Were they at all popular with explorers?

~TS

I'm curious, how common were they in the Victorian era? I was under the impression these helmets were purely twentieth century pieces, and, while admittedly I'm much more knowledgeable about African than Indian colonialism, but I can't remember seeing a Victorian-era picture of anyone (civilian or military) in this type of cover. Were they at all popular with explorers?

~TS

Hi there,

How common they were in late Victorian army use is very diffcult to be precise about. The Prince of Wales wore one tiger hunting on his tour of India 1874/5, as did all British officers attending upon him, and we might presume, with this royal approval, that the style subsequently gained ground in the army in India from there on. They were certainly popular as a shikari (hunting) helmets, for they suffered from none of the nape and peak depth problems which dogged the Victorian Colonial pattern service helmets. By 1900 the Cawnpore was in widespread use in the indian hot weather, in preference to the army service helmets. Victorian survivors of the Cawnpore are virtually unknown. I have seen only one which might be Victorian. They did see extensive civilian use also. They were favoured for horse-riding, for the great, thick shells provided great impact protection, and the crowns contained less dangerous ventilation metal work than cork service helmets, because they lacked any screw shanks beneath the ventilator button. I hope this helps.

The exact origins of the Cawnpore Tent Club helmets, to give them their precise name, are still a little shrouded in mystery. Googling 'Cawnpore Tent Club' brings up nothing.

I hope this helps clarify existing knowledge. Stuart Bates and I will be posting a few more Cawnpores and Bombay Bowlers in the next few weeks, so keep an eye out, and we hope we can help expand general knowledge of these types of army sun helmet.

This is the link to the one I got this week http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=010 unfortunately it is costing US$52 for expedited delivery.

Stuart

Stuart,

I see that you have been poaching in my pond! Good for you on acquiring this Wollesley. The flash is for the Royal (Canadian) Corps of Signals.

Here is one that I photographed at the Canadian Forces Communications Museum

sigspith.jpg

Did you notice that the flash is on back to front? I had the seller look at the reverse of the 'white/cream' section and she responded with Light Blue - so bingo RCS. She also inspected it closely for me and confirmed that it was tucked into the puggaree and secured with pins. I knew it was Signals but sought confirmation anyway. Actually it is coming down the driveway now!

Apart from its being sold out of Canada how do you know that it is of Canadian origin?

Stuart

<br />Apart from its being sold out of Canada how do you know that it is of Canadian origin?<br /><br />Stuart<br />
    &lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br />Mine is named to an Officer in the RCCS. It is my assumption (I know, I know) that the Cdns followed the British Sigs. I don't know that yours is Canadian which is why I put the 'Canadian' in brackets to show that it could be Brit or Cdn.<br /><br />I have a photo of another Wollesley, from WWII, which includes a red hackle on the left side. I also have a photo of the owner wearing it and the hackle is just visible. This was worn by officers in the Governor General's Foot Guards. Do you know if hackles, or more properly, plumes, were worn by the British Brigade of Guards on Wollesleys? The GGFG are allied with the Coldstream Guards and wear a similar uniform, albeit with some minor differences. If a plume were worn by the CG then it would have been on the right side.<br /><br />Clive Edited by servicepub

Clive,

Chris is going to wade in with his beautiful Coldstream Guards Wolseley with badge and red hackle. He is having trouble posting it so I will talk him through the process later today. But we had better continue this subject in the Wolseley Topic.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Hi Graham,

correct on the Black Watch. The Coldstream Guards wear their hackle on the right because they formed line to the left of the monarch whilst the Grenadier Guards wear theirs on the left as the formed line to the right of the monarch (thanks Chris).

Stuart

PS. Not getting much in the way of Cawnpores and Bombay Bowlers :)

Not getting much in the way of Cawnpores and Bombay Bowlers :)

Here is a Cawnpore (thanks Stuart for providing this terminology) owned by an officer of the Fort Garry Horse, located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. It displays both the cloth flash and the regimental cap badge. Waiting for photos of the interior. Property of the FGH Museum.file1565.jpg

Seems that the Canadians and Brits have taken better care of their heritage than the Aussies. I found 6 Wolseley pattern helmets and 1 Colonial pattern helmet on the Australian War Memorial site. I will ask a dealer/friend if there are any comparable regimental museums.

Stuart