News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jersey Colonel

Guest Rick Research

No return address on that one, oh my!? :speechless1::cheeky:

Apparently the Knackfuss of Field Artillery Regiment 11

Leutnant 28.1.07 K (his FAR 11 comrade with seniority exactly 1 below him was Sigfrid Henrici, Lt 28.1.07 L who went on to become a General der Panzertruppen)

Hauptmann iG aD (Line of ommunications Inspectorate Bug and the Reichswehr Armistice Commission)

Oberstleutnant (E) 1.12.35 #4 on staff of Ist Army Corps but with office in Danzig as German member of the Verbindungsstelle before the war

Oberst (E later S) 1.4.40 #61 and still alive May 1944.

No return address on that one, oh my!? :speechless1::cheeky:

Apparently the Knackfuss of Field Artillery Regiment 11

Leutnant 28.1.07 K (his FAR 11 comrade with seniority exactly 1 below him was Sigfrid Henrici, Lt 28.1.07 L who went on to become a General der Panzertruppen)

Hauptmann iG aD (Line of ommunications Inspectorate Bug and the Reichswehr Armistice Commission)

Oberstleutnant (E) 1.12.35 #4 on staff of Ist Army Corps but with office in Danzig as German member of the Verbindungsstelle before the war

Oberst (E later S) 1.4.40 #61 and still alive May 1944.

Rick, As ever you are a star, thanks, Paul

Paul,

Colonel Friedrich Knackfuss is well known in Jersey (Channel Islands) as the Feldkommandant of the Civil Affairs Department of the German military government of the Channel Islands during the occupation. This civil administration department was run by Feldkommandantur 515 which was based at Victoria College House, St.Helier. Jersey.

Heads of the Civil Administration, Feldkommandantur 515.

(Feldkommandanten to May 1944, then Platzkommandanten)

9 Aug 1940 - 19 Sep 1941 Friderich Schumacher

19 Sep 1941 - Jan 1944 Friedrich Knackfuss

Jan 1944 - 19 May 1944 Wilhelm Kratzer (acting)

19 May 1944 - 1 Mar 1945 I. von Heider

1 Mar 1945 - 9 May 1945 Kurt von Cleve

Looking through the archives of the ?Jersey Heritage Trust? www.jerseyheritagetrust.org/occupation_memorial/historybook/occupationhistoryintroduction.pdf

I find these last entries for ?Knackfuss?

2 March 1944: Feldkommandant Knackfuss leaves Jersey, to face trial over ?defeatist remarks?

British War Crimes Investigators characterised Knackfuss as a 'very jovial type.? Used to wear a monocle and was clean shaven. Speaks Italian fluently and looks a bit like an Italian'.

According to a report available to the investigators Knackfuss was 'relieved of his post in 1944, court-martialled as a result of his opposition to certain orders issued by superior officers and his anti-Nazi behaviour generally'.

I?ll see if I can find out what ultimately happened to Knackfuss and let you know.

:cheers:

Paul,

Colonel Friedrich Knackfuss is well known in Jersey (Channel Islands) as the Feldkommandant of the Civil Affairs Department of the German military government of the Channel Islands during the occupation. This civil administration department was run by Feldkommandantur 515 which was based at Victoria College House, St.Helier. Jersey.

Heads of the Civil Administration, Feldkommandantur 515.

(Feldkommandanten to May 1944, then Platzkommandanten)

9 Aug 1940 - 19 Sep 1941 Friderich Schumacher

19 Sep 1941 - Jan 1944 Friedrich Knackfuss

Jan 1944 - 19 May 1944 Wilhelm Kratzer (acting)

19 May 1944 - 1 Mar 1945 I. von Heider

1 Mar 1945 - 9 May 1945 Kurt von Cleve

Looking through the archives of the ?Jersey Heritage Trust? www.jerseyheritagetrust.org/occupation_memorial/historybook/occupationhistoryintroduction.pdf

I find these last entries for ?Knackfuss?

2 March 1944: Feldkommandant Knackfuss leaves Jersey, to face trial over ?defeatist remarks?

British War Crimes Investigators characterised Knackfuss as a 'very jovial type.? Used to wear a monocle and was clean shaven. Speaks Italian fluently and looks a bit like an Italian'.

According to a report available to the investigators Knackfuss was 'relieved of his post in 1944, court-martialled as a result of his opposition to certain orders issued by superior officers and his anti-Nazi behaviour generally'.

I?ll see if I can find out what ultimately happened to Knackfuss and let you know.

:cheers:

Many thanks, I also see that he was wanted for war crimes but as the "victims" were Russian it was never taken forward