News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi gents, I just received my Flanders Cross which I purchased off a fellow GMIC member, and it's great! I have to try and source some ribbon for it, but I was wondering does anyone know anything about the award criteria of this medal at all? Was it for naval marines in combat, or was it for something that happened in Flanders, hence the name? And for my exacting records (!), can someone tell me the proper German name for this award please? Thanking you!

Troy :cheers:

If this one:

it was one of the many unofficial awards that surfaced post WW1, private purchased, and with the instigation of the 1934 Hindenberg Crosses of Honour series, would have to be removed from a serving soldiers medal bar.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

It was a private purchase "award", not only worn by navy guys. They actually were banned to wear post1935 or 1936, but some still wore theirs on bars well into the 40s, Rick Research has shown photos from this era, if I remember correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, especially Speedytop for the correct German term! Yes Kevin, that's the one I have. When you all say it's a privately purchased one, does that mean a veterans organization designed it, or who actually finalizes the appearance of these non-official awards? Are they agreed on by a commitee? Once they are made, can anyone buy one, or would you have had to have served at Flanders, or been in the Marinekorp? Were these designed and made with the Navy's approval? Thanks again all of you!