News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Third Reich Awards to Women

Building on another thread in this section, this is a list of the Third Reich awards for which I have seen documentary evidence (photographs or award documents) of awards to women. In the case of photographs, I?m talking about pictures of women in their own uniforms, not dressed up in the boyfriends? kit. The list does not include Party awards lower than national level.

Blutorden

Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918 f?r Kriegsteilnehmer

Ehrenkreuz des Weltkriegs 1914/1918 f?r Hinterbliebene

Deutsches Olympia-Ehrenzeichen

Deutsche Olympia-Erinnerungsmedaille

Ehrenzeichen des Deutschen Roten Kreuzes 1937-39 (Frauenkreuz) (also to non-German women)

Erinnerungsmedaille f?r Rettung aus Gefahr (non-portable)

Treudienst-Ehrenzeichen 2. Stufe

Treudiest-Ehrenzeichen 1. Stufe (references to award documents for women noted but not yet seen)

Treudiest-Ehrenzeichen Sonderstufe

Dienstauszeichnung f?r den Reichsarbeitsdienst f?r Frauen 3. Klasse (references to award documents for 1st and 2nd class noted but not yet seen)

Dienstauszeichnung f?r den Reichsarbeitsdienst f?r Frauen 4. Klasse

Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 2. Stufe

Ehrenkreuz der Deutschen Mutter

Dienstauszeichnung der NSDAP 1. Klasse (references to award documents noted but not yet seen)

Dienstauszeichnung der NSDAP 2. Klasse (references to award documents noted but not yet seen)

Dienstauszeichnung der NSDAP 3. Klasse

Ehrenkreuz f?r Hinterbliebene deutscher Spanienk?mpfer

Ehrenzeichen f?r deutsche Volkspflege Sonderstufe (also to non-German women)

Ehrenzeichen f?r deutsche Volkspflege 2. Stufe

Ehrenzeichen f?r deutsche Volkspflege 3. Stufe

Medaille f?r Deutsche Volkspflege (also to non-German women)

Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (also to non-German women)

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse mit Schwertern

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse mit Schwertern (also to non-German women)

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse ohne Schwerter

Kriegsverdiensmedaille

Errinerungsmedaille f?r den italienisch- deutschen Feldzug in Afrika

Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42 (Ostmedaille)

?rmelband Afrika

Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber

Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz

Goldenes Parteiabzeichen

Reichssiegerabzeichen im Reichsberufswettkampf

Gausiegerabzeichen im Reichsberufswettkampf

Kreissiegerabzeichen im Reichsberufswettkampf

DRA Sportabzeichen

DRL Sportabzeichen

Non-Germans only:

Verdienst Orden vom Deutschen Adler (various grades up to and including the 1st Class neck-decoration)

Verdienst-Auszeichnung f?r Angeh?rige der Ostv?lker, 2nd Class in Bronze

I would be interested to hear of any additions to the above list. In particular, I would like to know the following:

Did women also receive the Medaille des Deutschen Roten Kreuzes 1937-39 or only the Frauenkreuz?

Were there are any known female recipients of the Rettungsmedaille am Bande (as opposed to the non-portable Erinnerungsmedaille f?r Rettung aus Gefahr) or the Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1st Class ohne Schwerter?

Did any women receive any further classes of the Verdienst-Auszeichnung f?r Angeh?rige der Ostv?lker (in addition to the 2nd Class in Bronze award noted above), or any grade of the Tapferkeits-Auszeichnung f?r Angeh?rige der Ostv?lker?

Finally, I believe that Spanish nurses served with the Division Azul ? is there any evidence that they received the Erinnerungsmedaille f?r die Spanishen Freiwilligen im Kampf gegen den Bolschewismus?

Guest Rick Research

There are women listed in the 1937 Lifesaving Medals Recipients Association directory I have... but unfortunately it does not say WHICH version anybody got, so they could be Weimar era or even pre-1919 recipients.

I would be interested to hear of any additions to the above list. In particular, I would like to know the following:

Finally, I believe that Spanish nurses served with the Division Azul ? is there any evidence that they received the Erinnerungsmedaille f?r die Spanishen Freiwilligen im Kampf gegen den Bolschewismus?

Hallo James :cheers:

with regard your question about Spanish Nurses, in the Osprey Men-At-Arms book:

"GERMANY'S SPANISH VOLUNTEERS 1941-45, The Blue Division in Russia.

Text by John Scurr, Colour Plates by Richard Hook

there is a picture on page 38, of: Mercedes Mila'a Nolla, appointed by Franco in 1937 as Inspector General of Women Auxiliaries of the "Sanidad Militar", in conference with Lt.-Col Pellicer, Inspector of Hospitals, during a visit to the front in the summer of 1943.

In the caption it states ". . . .The caduceus symbol can just be seen on his shoulder-strap.

She wears a Spanish Red Cross badge on the left breast, above the Red Military Merit Cross and the 1936-39 Campaign Medals.

Page 39, states three Medals to which men of the Blue Division were entitled.

1. German commemorative medal for the Blue Division not issued until 1944.

2.The Spanish Volunteers in Russia Medal, issued by the Spanish Government in 1942.

3. The German "Winterschlact in Osten 1941/42.

In the colour plate E 3. Nurse, Sanidad Militar, 1942: caption on page 36 states:

The Divisions seriously sick and wounded were treated at hospitals in Mestelevo, Riga, Vilna, K?nigsberg, Berlin and Hof, operated principally by Spanish Medical staff, who included many volunteer Nurses from the Spanish Army and the Falange's Feminine Section.

The Army Nurse depicted here is wearing a headdress of khaki wimple and white coif, upon which is pinned a somple grey metal badge of the Spanish Armys medical branch - "Sanidad Militar".

Her Khaki blouse has a white collar and cuffs and dark brown leather buttons. Displayed at the throat is the emblem of the Spanish Red Cross and on the left breast Franco's Civil War award to Women Auxiliaries of "Sanidad Militar", the Campaign Medal (1936-39) and a Red Military Merit Cross . . . . . . "

I hope its some help,

Kevin in Deva.

• 1 month later...

Some further information to add to this list. An annex to the regulations for the Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938 states that, while the award was basically for men, it could n be awarded to women in exceptional circumstances when the woman had made a significany contribution to the bringing the Sudetenland back within the Reich or had suffered for this, for example by being imprisoned.

I haven't yet seen any evidence of such an award.

Hello,

I have a doc of a nurse who received the Hindenburg-cross with swords! She also get the red cross medal 2nd and 3rd class (WW1). She served in a german colony. Unfortunately it is unknown in which german colony.

Best wishes

leutwein

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ,

Here is a picture of a woman named " Ilse D. " wearing the EK II and a ribbon bar for 5 or 6 medals , a well decorated woman ! This picture was found in the newspaper K?LNISCHE ILLUSTRIERTE ZEITUNG . DATED 3. August 1944 .

If you like a better picture let me know and I could email it to you !

Best Regards,

Joe

Hallo joetauchretter :cheers:

Interesting picture, judging by her obvious connection to the D.R.K. (Deutsche Rot Kreuz)

the ribbons are probably for service to that organisation, I believe it also states in the

article, that she herself was wounded on the East Front.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ,

Here is a picture of a woman named " Ilse D. " wearing the EK II and a ribbon bar for 5 or 6 medals , a well decorated woman ! This picture was found in the newspaper K?LNISCHE ILLUSTRIERTE ZEITUNG . DATED 3. August 1944 .

If you like a better picture let me know and I could email it to you !

Best Regards,

Joe

This is DRK-Schwesternhelferin Ilse Daub - thanks for posting Joe, and I'd be really grateful if you could e-mail me a copy of the page!

• 1 month later...