News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi , What kind of uniform is this ?

I searched for Husar pictures and they looked similar but since the photo is taken in D?sseldorf I was thinking he could

be in Westf?hlisches Ulan Rgt nr 5 ? But I cant find pics of the Ulan uniforms on the net.

Have a nice weekend all

Christer

Christer,

an Unteroffizier of Hussars. Almost certainly a member of the 2. Westf?lisches Husren-Regiment Nr. 11 which had squadrons stationed in D?sseldorf for most of the second half of the nineteenth century and up to 1906. The photograph is post 1899.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Hussars always look like circus lion tamers. :rolleyes:

I can't help with cavalry uniforms, since the pipings and colors are very complicated... never mind in black and white like this. From the very small flat cap, but with two cockades, I'd say yours dates from around 1900.

This is what Ulan uniforms looked like early in the World War:

:D

Thanks Rick and Chip,

I bookmarked Kaisers Bunker now so I can sit and read and read all theese loooong autumn evenings in Sweden!

The Husaren do look like som Vegas entertainer :cool: hi hi hi

Christer

A new One !

I found another candidate for Ulan Rgt 5 !!

Could this be an Ulan Uniform, he got teh bad taste to have hes overcoat on, but it looks like a Ulan under it ?

He even got a sable....

what do you think?

Christer

Hussars always look like circus lion tamers. :rolleyes:

Bonjour Rick,

Well, one could imagine I'd :violent: at that... but you're actually not far off !

It's really the other way around though...

Modern Circus develloped in the late XVIIIth and early XIXth Century - the first shows were really equestrian ones (hence the form of the traditionnal circus arena), and many Hungarian horsemen swept over Europe to ply treir trade.

Some of them former Hussars indeed.

The shows evolved to more diverse activities - the all favourite hussar-dress remained.

And, Christer, there's been a proud tradition of swedish Hussars as well (dating to 1757, when some Hungarian mercenaries were brought in to counter the threat of Imperial Russia's irregular cavalry, the dreaded Cossacks) :

http://www.hussards-photos.com/Suede_home.htm

Suede_CPA_BIG.jpg

Cheers, :cheers:

Jerome

Bonjour Rick,

Well, one could imagine I'd :violent: at that... but you're actually not far off !

It's really the other way around though...

Modern Circus develloped in the late XVIIIth and early XIXth Century - the first shows were really equestrian ones (hence the form of the traditionnal circus arena), and many Hungarian horsemen swept over Europe to ply treir trade.

Some of them former Hussars indeed.

The shows evolved to more diverse activities - the all favourite hussar-dress remained.

And, Christer, there's been a proud tradition of swedish Hussars as well (dating to 1757, when some Hungarian mercenaries were brought in to counter the threat of Imperial Russia's irregular cavalry, the dreaded Cossacks) :

http://www.hussards-photos.com/Suede_home.htm

Suede_CPA_BIG.jpg

Cheers, :cheers:

Jerome

Hi Jerome !

Wow !! Great Photos :jumping:

Now I have to start look for Swedish Hussars ! You always forget the things on your own backyard....

Regards from Sweden

Christer