News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Soviet Medal #2

Here is the second one that arrived today, this one is the same as the other except it is gold in the centre. Once again it was labelled Orden Medaille Russland F?r Dienst in Innenministerium. Once more, could someone tell me the name of the order in English please?

Thanks again gents!

Here is the second one that arrived today, this one is the same as the other except it is gold in the centre. Once again it was labelled Orden Medaille Russland F?r Dienst in Innenministerium. Once more, could someone tell me the name of the order in English please?

Thanks again gents!

Troy,

I have the 1st and 2nd Class of this badge. My German is limited so I don't have the name at hand. However I'll get it for you. Welcome to the world of Soviet/Russian ODMs. I agree 100% with Ed. Try to find a copy of "The Comprehensive Guide to Soviet Orders and Medals" By Paul Schmitt and Paul McDaniel. The book is out of print but, copies can be found.

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Troy,

These awards are often sold as the Russian, for service in Chechnia Badge.

However they are Russian MVD Internal Security Troops badges for Excellent Service.

It was established in 1995, and has two classes. They are also awarded for service in Chechnia hence the incorrect naming.

Translated, "F?r Dienst in Innenministerium" would be for service in the Interior ministery.

These badges are widely faked, the original badges have hot, not cold enamel work and generally more detail, and are scarce.

Best regards Eddie.

Thanks Doc and Eddie! Eddie, do you think these two I have are also made in the Moscow Mint, like Ed said my Order of the Patriotic War medal is? I'm guessing since I didn't pay a fortune for it, it wouldn't be the scarce original type!

Troy,

Do they have any markings on the reverse?

The list below shows the typical mint marks when written. The Order of the Patriotic War is a soviet award the MVD badges are newer, after 1990 Russian Federation Badges.

мондвор - contraction for mint.

монетный Двор - mint (for both Moscow and Leningrad)

ммд - Moscow mint.

ленинградский монетный Двор - Leningrad mint

Regards Eddie