News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have mixed feelings on this one... could this be a missing link piece?

On first sight, I do not like the tab facing material. I do not like the way the gulls are embroidered...

but...

I do like the buckram, outer cord, patina(oxidation), and wreath. I am so mixed up on this one. I have held stranger and more unusual period pieces but this one has me baffled.

What are your thoughts?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Overall I think the tab looks ok. The only thing I do not like about it is the badge cloth material. I have not seen material like this used on a tab before but that in itself should not be a discriminator. I do like the embroidery and the oxydation that is on the gulls. The gulls appear to be matching and I don't think one was added later. Wreath looks fine also. Buckram material is similar to pieces I have in my collection.

I only have 3 pairs of officer HG tabs in my collection (Oberst, Leutnant and a Musikmeister) and all 3 are different, in terms of construction, than what most of my other tabs are like. I hesitated buying any of them since they were out of the norm in some aspect compared to my other tabs. 2 of them came from George Peterson's collection which was one of the factors which influenced me to the "buy side".

So I guess what I am saying is that based on my experience with the HG tabs many of them seem to fall outside of what we normally see on normal tabs such as Flight, Flak etc.

Gary B

Edited by Gary B

Hi

So far we do not know everything regarding this hobby.When we see something new, we might think it is fake?

But we known many effects does appear in different shapes and materials.We should not be to afraid to look at new Items! Someon might know something about them. My be we can learn something from it! I an not a expert.This is only my thought.

Kind regards

Nesredep

Thanks guys, for the replies. The reason I went ahead with the deal was the oxidation and the price was very right(I bought it with a grouping of insignia).

Leigh,

It is always a pleasure to see your beautiful insignia!! Thank you! Can you please post the reverse of your tabs?

Gary,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I do feel a lot better about the tab. The areas I listed are qualities I have seen very accurately portrayed in reproductions.

Nesredep,

Thank you for your wise words! Like you said, it is very important to keep an open mind as unusual variants are often more common than textbook pieces.