News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soldiers Relief League Meritorious Members Badge

Tim B

I just picked one of these up and had some questions. How many levels or grades of this badge were there and what were the differences?

The badge is great and has a great design. One thing that I am a bit concerned with is the main pin. This one appears to be made from a highly polished sheet brass material and at first wondered if it might have been replaced, but I just don't know.

Does anybody have one they can post and compare for me? Thanks in advance!

Tim

As I recall, the three-legged crow (I somehow thought it was supposed to be red?) was the helpful birdie (kami?) who guided the first emperor Jimmu's army through troublesome terrain at some significant moment that I can't remember just now. (Also on the China Incident War Medal.)

It has three legs here because it had three legs. :rolleyes:

Oops -- see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-legged_bird

The Yatagarasu (八咫烏), and a raven not a crow. And he helped Jimmu reach Yamato. :banger:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Tim,

I sent you an email, the pin is ok. You see various qualities with these badges.

This one is the Meritorious Member's Badge. There are five different badges using this basic design, all is revelaed in my wonderful book (shameless advertising plug).

Cheers,

Paul

Paul,

Thanks! I was told last night there were three grades and this was the highest, so five different badges eh? I'll have to get your book as there is too much to learn just starting out. Will PM you later this evening.

Ed,

You're right really, the raven is just a variety of crow; same family.

Rick,

Three legs--two for landing gear and one to hold the bomb! :cheers:

Tim

It does come in a nice black lacquer case!!