News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austro-Hungarn General Tunic

ccj

Yes, this looks like a General rank to me. That is definitely a beauty, look at the fineness of that wool. :beer: I have always loved the Austrian "Horizon Bleu", :P I have a uniform like this of a Oberstleutnant. I would say the French troops fighting in Macedonia precipitated the end of Pike Grey. If the Austrians were fighting the French, it would have been hard to tell the players without a scorecard.

Dan

Charles,

It is a nice looking tunic, but I am a bit astonished by the seemingly amateurish sewing job that attaches the insignia to the collar. The person who sewed the tabs to the tunic must have been a beginner. Maybe I'm wrong. How does it look to you?

Chip

I looked at that myself and it seems that the bullion has darkened a bit causing contrast between the tresse and the thread. The scarlet backing is applied very nicely and the tresse is original to the tunic.

I'm not 100% sure whether the thread is original and didn't show when new or if someone tacked the tresse back in area some years ago. Overall, it's very nice and look very nice. Once seven decorations are applied to the chest and a pike gray kepi is found it'll look top notch.

BTW, the are loops on the right breast. What Austrian awards is worn on the right?

I thought I would dress up the tunic a bit. I don't have enough Austrian awards so I had to add a couple German and a few Bulgarian. I have no idea what breast badge would be appropriate for the right breast. The only thing I've seen on an Austrian tunic on the right side is the pilot badge.

I have NEVER seen the Bulgarian Bravery order worn by a WW1 German or Austrian. I have seen these worn by WW2 soldiers and I know WW1 aviators and obviously other were awarded these but I've never seen photos.

I'd love to find a Turkish War Medal with vertical pin arrangment. I have a nice one but it has a horizontal pinback.

What year did the Turks start awarding the war medal?

• 4 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...

Yes, here is closer

Can anyone post photos of Austrian officer's wearing breast badges on the right side? My general's tunic has loops for a breast badge but what would fit. A Turkish War Medal may be correct but my loops are for a vertical pin arrangement. I'm not sure a Turkish Star would fit.

Edited by ccj

Guest Rick Research

Austrian-made Turkish War Medal stars seem to have used an upright pin design rather than the bizarre horizontal one by BB&Co or the crude cast-in wires on Turkish issue badges. So if an Iron Cross 1st Class fits snugly there, chances are that it was for an Austrian-Made TWM. If the loops are waaaaay off in size, then it was for...

?????

Hello,

as a further information about the picture posted by ccj, the pin-back decoration Emperor Charles I wears on the right breast pocket is the "Franz Joseph-Kreuz", also known as "Militantibus a Latere Meo", instituted by Franz Josef on Nov. 21st 1916 (but practically created under his successor, Charles I) and awarded only 25 times to the late Emperor's closest military entourage.

Sincerely,

Enzo

Edited by Elmar Lang

• 2 weeks later...

ccj,

Very nice uniform and one I would love to own. Interesting in that it is a field uniform rather than the General Officers dress tunic. Here is a picture with a better veiw of the cross shown in your photo, worn by the Emperor dressed in a field grey uniform, at an award ceremony in 1917.

Regards,

Gordon

ccj,

Very nice uniform and one I would love to own. Interesting in that it is a field uniform rather than the General Officers dress tunic. Here is a picture with a better veiw of the cross shown in your photo, worn by the Emperor dressed in a field grey uniform, at an award ceremony in 1917.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks. I've read somewhere that this award was awarded less than 40 times. I'm not sure why the award was given.

• 9 months later...
    • 5 months later...
    • 2 years later...
    • 9 years later...