News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

equipment and weapons used in sudan

sabrigade

I am currently in Khartoum and have had the opportunity to visit the sites of some of the battles fought in colonial times against the British army.Does anyone have any details of the weapons and equipment including armour and helmets used by local fighters and armies in these conflicts?

Interesting question, but I am not very clear as to what you are asking. Sorry. Sometimes I confuse easily.

Are you interested in:

1- Local (Egyptian/Sudanese) troops who fought with the British against their countrymen.

or

2- The Egyptian/Sudanese troops that opposed the British invasions?

or

3- Both.

or

4- Something else.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Hi Ed,

I am interested in the local forces,Egyptian and Sudanese,who fought againdt the invasions.

I have travelled around the various sites and will also be going through El-Obeid next week.

Thanks for the interest.

Let me see what I can find. Should be interesting. Any chance of pictures?

With pleasure.I have also found some Sudanese medals which I have not been able to identify or confirm.The best one appears to be an Order of the Republic as described in your article.

With pleasure.I have also found some Sudanese medals which I have not been able to identify or confirm.The best one appears to be an Order of the Republic as described in your article.

Hey, you will have to tell me where you have found medals! I am going to Khartoum early next week for a three week TDY. I will also likely be travelling to Juba and El Fahser, possibly even Niyala.

There are some interesting straight bladed swords with square pommels that are traditional to the area.

Here's another type from sudan of that period. It's unusual as this style hilt is usually associated with a curved blade.

The trade blade is Italian made. It was carried diagonally across the back

Edited by Tom Y

Hey, you will have to tell me where you have found medals! I am going to Khartoum early next week for a three week TDY. I will also likely be travelling to Juba and El Fahser, possibly even Niyala.

As in most foreign countries it takes time and a major effort to build up connections amongst the local sources and further,to also identify them.There are market places in and around Khartoum where you might find some articles.I have been in Sudan since January and travel a lot around the country.There are no dealers or sources in the South,you will have to hopefully befriend serving SPLA soldiers or people who served who possibly may have something available.It takes a lot of time and hard work and you also end up buying articles you do not really need or want in an attempt to maintain these identified sources and also too provide them with some inspiration to find what you are actually looking for.As stated by the people who know,there are not many sources available on Sudanese medals which makes it even more difficult to identify or even request specific items.

Happy Hunting!

• 1 month later...

As in most foreign countries it takes time and a major effort to build up connections amongst the local sources and further,to also identify them.There are market places in and around Khartoum where you might find some articles.I have been in Sudan since January and travel a lot around the country.There are no dealers or sources in the South,you will have to hopefully befriend serving SPLA soldiers or people who served who possibly may have something available.It takes a lot of time and hard work and you also end up buying articles you do not really need or want in an attempt to maintain these identified sources and also too provide them with some inspiration to find what you are actually looking for.As stated by the people who know,there are not many sources available on Sudanese medals which makes it even more difficult to identify or even request specific items.

Happy Hunting!

So, I didn't do too bad for a three week TDY...first of several Posts...

So, I didn't do too bad for a three week TDY...first of several Posts...

I posted all of my stuff from my trip to Sudan in a seperate post...I hope you enjoy it. I will try and get the translations on later. These are my first attempts at posting so hopefully they will pass muster.

I would like to have pictures of your collection of Iraqi ODM you have on display in Johannesburg South Africa.

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo