News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

I was asked for help, but was not quite up to the task. I was given a name and several photographs with the question what Adolf Koslowsky is wearing on his two medal bars shown below:

His beginning:

Suedwest.jpg

initial medal bar:

zweier.jpg

later being a "Leutnant" rank in his career:

Leutnant.jpg

And his last medal bar shown on his field gray WWI picture:

4er.jpg

...and the full picture:

any help will be appreciated! What medals was he awarded with?

My best guess is:

a) Militaerehrenzeichen 2.Klasse (OK this one I was told: Wachtmeister at the Th?ringschen Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 6 and recived for his participation in the Deutsch-S?dwest the Milit?r-Ehrenzeichen 2. Klasse in 1906)

b) Long Service ?

c) Saxe-Coburg-Gotha Military Merit Medal with sword bar, but what year? Or maybe even the Africa bar!?

d) South West Commemorative Medal with 4 bars, but which ones?

Edited by medalnet

Guest Rick Research

That's WEIRD! :Cat-Scratch: He is wearing the Spange to his Ernestine Medal on the Southwest Africa Medal ribbon in that first bar with only 2 ribbons!

I only have the Ernestine rolls from 1911 to 1918.

There is NO way to tell which bars he might have earned to the SWA without a clear readable photo or his actual military documents.

That last portrait photo in full dress is as an enlisted Uhlan, not an officer.

this IS the africa-clasp for the SEHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no other possibility with these two shown medal bars, both before ww1, it must be the africa-clasp!!! Great to see this one in wear.... are there better scans of these pictures possible Andreas?

It is indeed true. I just got another Email with the wedding date being: May 15, 2007 !!!!!

The picture of the 2 ribbon bar is from the wedding already pictured above:

He also added the following info:

"The regimental history from 1904 lists him as one of 40 volunteers. It also says:" wounded was Unteroffizier Koslowsky at Gross-Nabas receiving soots into his right arm and his left shoulder." It also says:"The following received the Militaerehrenzeichen2nd class...Unteroffiziere Koslowsky, ...""

This is quite amazing. It seems to be the very first picture of somebody wearing the Africa bar !!!!!

That's WEIRD! :Cat-Scratch: He is wearing the Spange to his Ernestine Medal on the Southwest Africa Medal ribbon in that first bar with only 2 ribbons!

Actually now we know why, the photo was taken on May 15, 1907, hence shortly before he could get his hands on the South West Africa medal - founded 1907 as well.

Guest Rick Research

Ah, NOW I see that the horizontal lines are NOT the stripes of the SWA Medal ribbon, but the poor "FAX machine" quality of the image copy. :banger:

Interesting-- in the WW1 photo with the large Old Style 4 ribbon bar,

he is wearing things correctly BUT that is an FOOT ARTILLERY uniform, not a cavalry one! He is a Feldwebelleutnant there.

No higher grade of any class Ernestine medal/cross/Order on the existing rolls (Meiningen's are missing 1916-18) for him during the World War, but he did receive the

SMK 25.10.17 as Feldwebelleutnant, Munitions Kolonne 3/Fussartillerie Bataillon 54 as Magistratsbeamter, Meiningen. So he had retired from the army before the war.

Good thing I did all those Thuringian rolls, or we'd be looking for him in the infantry, in that uniform. :rolleyes:

Unteroffizier Adolf Koslowsky from the Ulan Regiment No 6 went to GSWA and returned to it 1906. The same year he was promoted to Sergeant. He received the MEZ2 in 1905 and Saxony Meiningen Military Merit Medal with clasp Afrika in 1906.

• 3 years later...

Nice photo-estate! Is that right that Koslowsky received the Saxony Meiningen Military Merit Medal with clasp Afrika as a Sergeant (then there are only 2 others missing :jumping: ) or did he received the Saxony Meiningen Military Merit Medal with clasp Afrika as a Unteroffizier??

Total numbers for Saxony Meiningen Military Merit Medal with clasp Afrika (for NCO´s)

Bootsmannsmaat 1

Sergeant 3

Unteroffizier 5

Best wishes

Karsten