News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gents,

The water in the Danube crested early on Wednesday the 12th of September. Luckily, this year, the water only rose hight enough to cover the roads that ran along both sides of the Danube and didn't cause any damage in the city. Since this is the flood season I thought it would be a good time to post the flood medals. First a couple of pictures of the haigh water in Budapest from the 10th to the 12th of September.

Monday the 10th;

Tuesday the 11th. The square things you see just past the boat is the tops of the guard rail posts along the danube side of the river. The boat was used to get people from the roadway to the boats by pulling themselves along the rope.

Edited by Gordon Craig

I didn't take pictures on the Wednesday because the water was receeding.

The first flood medal issued was the "Flood Prevention Medal 1954. This medal was for soldiers and civians who worked on flood control for the flood of 13 to 30 July, 1954. The medal was instituted by the Council of Ministers. The medal is 33 mm in diametre. The wording around the top of the medal translates as "1954 YEAR DUNA FLOOD PREVENTION". The reverse of the medal is plain. It should be noted that this medal has a 30mm wide ribbon which was the standard size in this time period. The counter ring is missing on this medal.

Edited by Gordon Craig

THe old form of the Flood Prevention Medal was discontinued on February 17, 1977 and a new form created also known as the Flood Prevention Medal. It is also plain on the reverse. The ribbon is identical and 40mm wide. Here is a cased example.

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Gordon and CD-

I certainly hope so, 3-5 pages typed, throw in some illustrations front and back and a document or two along with the above flood pictures (isn't there a modern version of this medal) and you're there-all a quick evenings work. Think of the fame, fortune and general street cred that will be your just reward! :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

I came by one of the post-'77 Flood Prevention medals the other day- too good of a deal to pass up. Took this front detail- hand held camera and hand held medal in waning sunlight. I do like this particular version of the medal best from a design standpoint- the working of the background, machinery, etc.

OK, so the earliest ones are red cases and the late one(s) are the blue case?

I know the site, hence the question ;>)

Well, as far as I know, only the very last type of the flood medal is in blue box, but that medal does not fall under this topic, I think, since that was established after the fall of the previous regime and not in the HPR times.