News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: EXTREMELY interesting maker mark on the Hindenburg Cross-- I don't remember ever seeing that one before.

Typical "October 1936" bar--

when the new Wehrmacht awards came in then with the bizarre pairing of two awards, many veterans of the OLD "Wehrmacht" decided that they were also entitled to wear two. Not so. But this senior NCO had an IX before the war and went out with the XV circa 1920 and then decided it was OK to wear both.

It wasn't, but this is a typical late 1930s wearing mistake.

thank you very much for looking and commenting. the main reason i bought the bar is seeing the two Long Service awards. i have seen this before,but not often and was intriqued by the combo. i have never seen the maker on the HC either,that was a bit of incenetive as well.

thanx again!

scott

:Cat-Scratch: EXTREMELY interesting maker mark on the Hindenburg Cross-- I don't remember ever seeing that one before.

Typical "October 1936" bar--

when the new Wehrmacht awards came in then with the bizarre pairing of two awards, many veterans of the OLD "Wehrmacht" decided that they were also entitled to wear two. Not so. But this senior NCO had an IX before the war and went out with the XV circa 1920 and then decided it was OK to wear both.

It wasn't, but this is a typical late 1930s wearing mistake.

Guest Rick Research

Here is my Naughty October 1936--

The Venezuela 1902/03 colonial campaign bar was for the international naval blockade (things were going SO well then in the afterglow of crushing the Boxer Rebellion in China) by France, Germany, and Italy. The Crew 1902 cadets there for their routine balmy warm weather station basic sea training were caught in coastal fort bombardments, landings...

all over international debt and

oil.

Tut tut.

Tsk tsk.

Absence of an 1897 Centenary Medal shows this Naval Person joined up after 22 March of that year. The XV Cross shows him to have been a career Petty Officer or Warrant Officer by the outbreak of the World War (such beyond home waters service counted double for these awards back then). The XXV indicates that his service was continuous, right through the war, so he would have been discharged with enough seniority (18+ pension years, including pre-war overseas and wartime double pension years) for a hearty handshake and the news that he was henceforth a

Leutnant der Marine ausser Dienst, courtesy of the Weimar Republic.

After that, all we can tell is that he was alive in October 1936-- and padding out a perfectly nice group with an unneeded and non-regular double "Wehrmacht!"