News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian People's Army Recon Unit 3100

Gents,

Recently I have taken part in a thread on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum that was trying to identify an unknown para badge. The badge had certain Hungarian fetures but was unknown to myself nor was it listed in any of my reference books. I eventually contacted the curator of badges at The Hungarian Military Museum and asked for his assistance in identifying the badge. His response was that it was Hungarian but that he didn't recognize it but would contact some others who might be able to help.

His answer was as follows; "With the help of a collegue I have found the information below. The number 3100 on the badge was the (theoretically secret) number of a recon unit of the Hungarian People's Army by the end of the 80s. Number 40 might be the number of parachute jumps. But as I wrote to you earlier, this badge was not official at all. By the way, the main motifs of the badge resemble the Paratrooper Qualification Badge instituted in 1940." If anyone has any information at all about this unit please post it to this thread.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

To give you an idea of why the museum curator said the above badge was similar to the 1940s Hungarian parachute Qualification Badge here is a photo of a very good copy of the 1940s badge. The only know example of this badge, that is beleived to be original, is on display in the Hungarian Military Museum in Budapest.

Regards,

Gordon

Charles,

We'll probably never get to see the back of this badge. The chap who posted it asking to have it identified doesn't have the badge. What he posted was a picture he took from the some time ago. Frustrating that he didn't include that info in his post but it has happened to me before and probably will again!

Regards,

Gordon