News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Hungarian Order of Merit

• Replies 108
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now for the breast stars. There are three different variations based on the thickness of the award. Here is what Zoltan had to say. I am not entirely sure what he measn when he says "The max: 9,5 mm, 12 mm, 12.5 mm." I'll have to ask him to explain that terminology but that will have to be tomorrow as I am off to bed.

Gordon!

Photos from the thicknes. (made from the 2. class, but the 1. class, and the 3. class is similar)

2. class:

1 mm, 1.5 mm, 2 mm at the edge.

The max: 9,5 mm, 12 mm, 12,5 mm

Weight: 52,2 g 65 g 77,2 g

Zoltan

Edited by Gordon Craig

Well I've sent off an email about the part of the response I did not understand and we'll see what the reply is. We can now be reasonably sure that the State Mint made some of these orders without the date on the back. Who applied the date on the back of the large 2nd class order that Anatoly has is not known at this time. The one 5th class order pictured may indicate that some of them were issued without numbers and engraved at a later date or engraved with the date before they were issued. Since Zoltan has said there are no records kept of how many of the different shaped numerals were made it is reasonable to assume that there are no records kept of which classes were made without numbers or how many of each were produced. We are at least much the wiser about this order than befor we heard from Zoltan.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 years later...

Another photo of backs of these awards. One has no number at all!

Gents,

As far as I know, those without "1949" on the back were produced later and those are stage-properties, specially made for theaters and movie shootings.

cimbineus

Colonel Oveshnikov Aleksandr

Hi ilja559,

This is a very nice photograph! And as always, Soviet officers/generals (incorrectly) wear both, the Order and the Medal with the miniature for "causal" outfit too. They like "luster" very much ...

cimbineus

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Very nice finds! There are some real gems in there Rick! I love the floral pattern scuff plates. Not seen to often. Now you need 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st classes - :unsure:

Hi Gents,

Let me add one more version to our Merit Order case bottoms collection, a „Christmas gift wrap"-type pattern. :D

mnk-erdemr-dob-xmass-g_www.kepfeltoltes.

Regards,

cimbineus

• 6 years later...
    • 1 month later...

Congratulations, Igor. This is an excellent and scarce piece in very good conditions. Have you got the so-called "small decoration" and the ribbon with miniature as well?

Let me show you the whole set of ribbons with miniatures for these orders and medals.

szalagsavok gmic.jpg

Edited by cimbineus

Да, потрепанный он у вас бедняжка, a жаль. Лента такая должна быть с миниатюрой на ней.

Here is the ribbon with the miniature on it.

1 fok kisdek.jpg

Покажу ещё одну фотку, если позволите. I-ая  и II-ая степени со всеми принaдлежностями. :-)

Here is one more picture with the first two drades of the order with "small decorations" and ribbons.

1 es 2 egyben.jpg