News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

History of the 11th Battalion Royal West Kent

Evening Gents,

I recently picked up a copy of the regimental history for the 11th Battalion Royal West Kents, known as the Lewisham Battalion, written by Capt R.O. Russell and printed in 1934.

This details the formation of the battalion in Catford, has accounts of all their major engagements, and perhaps most usefully, lists every Officer, NCO and man in the unit. It also features profiles on gallantry medal winners, and the destination units of key members upon its disbandment in 1918.

I was pleased to discover that my particular copy has been signed by many members of the battalion, including the C.O. Lieut Colonel Corfe (DSO & 2 bars). If any members here have medals or doc's to this regiment and need help with research, I'll be only too happy to oblige.

Cheers

Gilbert

Hello Gilbert,

That is one lucky find you have there!

Although I don't have anything (awards/paperwork) to do with the 11th battalion, my Dad had some relations from Lewisham (most of his family came from the Elephant though). Would you mind having a look to see if any Thurstons (common name I know) or Neals are in there.

Where in Catford were they? My sister lives there and I'll be paying her a visit in a few weeks.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes this book seems to be pretty rare, there are only a few I know to be in existence - mine was pierced to be hung up somewhere, perhaps in the local church? There was an old soldiers' association so I am confident I will find that out with more research.

There are no Thurstons I'm afraid, although there is an F Neal as an enlisted man. The Battalion was formed at Lewisham Town Hall (in Catford, perversely) and in the early days met at St Mary's in Ladywell. As I read more of the book I can give more details if there is interest.

I will be moving this week to just up the road from the War Memorial in Catford, small world eh?

Cheers

Gilbert

There are no Thurstons I'm afraid, although there is an F Neal as an enlisted man.  As I read more of the book I can give more details if there is interest.

Cheers

Gilbert

My Dad's name is Frank as was his Dad's so I wonder if F Neal was a Frank too? I'll have to ask in the family although all the Neals are dead now apart from my Dad.

Is there interest? Not many! biggrin.gif

If you see a Citroen in Catford with German plates at the beginning of October give it a wave, it'll probably be me driving it.

Tony

Edited by Tony

• 4 years later...

Evening Gents,

I recently picked up a copy of the regimental history for the 11th Battalion Royal West Kents, known as the Lewisham Battalion, written by Capt R.O. Russell and printed in 1934.

This details the formation of the battalion in Catford, has accounts of all their major engagements, and perhaps most usefully, lists every Officer, NCO and man in the unit. It also features profiles on gallantry medal winners, and the destination units of key members upon its disbandment in 1918.

I was pleased to discover that my particular copy has been signed by many members of the battalion, including the C.O. Lieut Colonel Corfe (DSO & 2 bars). If any members here have medals or doc's to this regiment and need help with research, I'll be only too happy to oblige.

Cheers

Gilbert

I'm hoping you are still an active member of this forum as my Great grandfather was in the 11th Battalion RWK. I was very excited to read about the book you have and the information it contains. I would be very keen to know more about the battalion and if my great grandfather is listed in this amazing document! His name was William James Drewett. Many thanks in anticipation!

Jane

• 2 years later...

Hi Jane,

Sorry for the delayed reply - I am rather a lapsed member of this forum as life and babies have got in the way! Very interested to hear about your ancestor, he is indeed listed in the book but I didn't see any specific mention of him. A frined of mine has painstakingly compiled an index of names mentioned in the book and will be sending it soon, which may uncover more.

What do you know about your G Grandfather which you'd like to share?

Gilbert