News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Red Star

Anatol,

Another very nice and rare documented award. Also presented at the annual liberation parade. I am beginning to think that the reason we don't see more of these rare awards here in Hungary is that they were mostly given to foreigners. Thanks for posting it. Another nice reference piece.

Regards.

Gordon

I have some time on my hands before I catch the tarin so thought I would post my 1957 issue of this award for comparison purpores. The main difference, other than the change of the crest on the front, are the differnce of the back of the star and the way the ribbon is attached to the star. This is a post 1980s issued medal as it has the triangular aluminum piece of metal in the ribbon and the pin on the back of the ribbon.

According to the Blue Bible, 1447 of these medals were awarded up to the end of 1977. The Large Medals Book states that the total number of this medal that were awarded was 1574.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Here is a view of the interior of the case without the medals. The shape of the ends of the stars are actually in the bottom of the case. Not impressed in the surface because of the top being closed. Note the deepe recesses in the case to accomodate the pins on the backs of the ribbons.

Edited by Gordon Craig

This a typical case from the 80s with the painted exterior which melts and stick to everything. Especialy the cases of other medals!

Yep - its either a way of mounting your cased medals to the wall without the need of glue or a nail OR its bad chemestry... Nice sets - thanks for sharing the two tyeps!

• 5 months later...

What is interesting about this is the construction of the Order of the Red Stars. If you look at the ones posted here and elsewhere in threads - you will see that there are about 4-5 variations of the same order. The differences lie in

1) prismatic underlay on the obvesrse of the red enameled portion of the star. Though you can sometimes see it factored into the manufacture, its is not always so.

2) various reverse details of the star. (The wreaths seem to remain about the same) some have a sharp ridge along the perimeter while others have a softer ridge. Still others seem to be simply concave and have no rim. Still others exist with the heavy ridges of the prismatic effect on the reverse while others are less defined. Some have a 'rivet guard' over the rivet, others do not.

3) perpendicular loop with the horizontal loop for attachign to the ribbon. On many 1st models the perpendicular ring is bent behind the upper arm of the star, while others - particularly the pot 1957 models have the ring protruding above the top of the star. (this leads me to beilve that this particular example is a late 1955-56 make as for all I can see the 1949 HuPR coat of amrs has been there forever.

4) enamel - hot and cold were used. Natrually the hot enamel was used during the 1950's and into the 1960's. Generaly after that many examples can be seen with only cold enamel.