News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anybody collect stuff from lost US ships or subs?

pvon

I have always enjoyed American history. And Have had and have items from USS Thresher,Scorpion,

USS Lexington,and others!

I was wondering if others enjoy looking for or finding items,such as scrap books,pics, and personal items

belonging to sailors and officers involved!

I have collected german items such as edge weapons and stuff, but I really enjoy US history

relating to these tragic events!

I bet many collectors have medal groups to these folks!

Hope others will post stuff or even talk about events on these ships and subs lost!

Pearl Harbor alone must have many items in collections!

A Medal of Honor muesum in Massilion Oh has medal of honor groups to KIA men and others

on display from Pearl Harbor!

The engraved Medal of honor and related items they show, send a chill down your spine!

I will post a few items I have relating to some sunday!

Wish I would have collected more instead of nazi stuff yrs ago!

Please post your groups or info!

Thanks

PVON

Edited by pvon

• 2 years later...

PVON

I posted a topic "Ship survivors" and there wasn't much interest. I have in my collection 4 groups (medals - documents) to ship sinking survivors. #1. (My favorite) is a German Naval group to a Rear Admiral z. V. (Acting) who served on the Light Cruiser S.M.S. Leipzig, at the Battles of Coronel and the Falklands. He was one of 18 survivors of the Leipzig, and the Ranking Officer. He retired from the German Navy in 1932, and was recalled in 1941. He retired again 31 Dec. 1944. #2. Is another German WW1 Naval Medical Officer who served on the Light Cruiser S.M.S. Karlsruhe which exploded in Nov. 1914. He was was one 129 survivors from the ship. #3. Is WW2 U.S. to a BM3 who served on the USS Bismarck Sea CVE-95, which was sunk by kamikazes. He was one of 605 survivors - 318 died. #4. Is a small WW2 German group to the First Officer of the Merchant Ship General Osorio. He served on the Blockade Runner MS Porto Alegre and was awarded the War Merit Cross 2nd Class with swords, and Blockade Runner Badge. The General Osorio was sunk in Kiel in 1945, by Allied aircraft. I do not yet know if this man survived or not. Cheers Captain Albert

I have a few items, mainly medals and uniforms. I've been trying to collect items from all the major capital ships lost (carriers, battleships etc). I love identified/named submarine material as well, though it's pretty much a top tier USN WW2 area of collecting (read: $$$).

I actually have/have had a few non US items as well to sunken ships, but a vast majority of that are things like Soldbuch &/or Wehrpass to u-boat crews (also quite spendy stuff these days, though you can almost always find them for sale).

USN WW2 jumpers (researched of course) have proven very exciting at times. Not uncommon every now and again to run across a survivor (or even a casualty) from a sinking.

Anchors Away!

I have 2 US submarine groups. One to my uncle See Noor's posting "best researched item", and one to a maverick Lieutenant (1973-1995).

• Gold (Officer) Surface Combat Badge
    • Silver (Enlisted) Submarine Badge (Dolphins)
    • Silver SSBN Deterrent Patrol Badge
    • Navy Commendation Medal with Gold Star (2nd award)(named “Tommy L. Couch”) with presentation case
    • Navy Achievement Medal with 4 gold stars (5th Award) (named “Tommy L. Couch”) and lapel pin
    • Navy Meritorious Unit Citation with bronze star (2nd award) (1 Sep 1981)
    • Navy Efficiency Ribbon with 2 E’s (2nd award)
    • Navy Good Conduct with bronze star (2nd award) ( named “Tommy L. Couch 1978”) second award c.1982
    • National Defense Service Medal with Star (Vietnam and 1990 awards)
    • Navy Expeditionary Medal (Jan 1981 Iranian Crisis)
    • Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with star (Arctic 1976-Classified) and Op Ernest Will (Persian Gulf 1987-1990)
    • Navy Sea Deployment Service Ribbon with 3 bronze stars (4th award)
    • Navy Career Counselor Badge

I also have his Dress Blue Uniform. One problem no picture!

Here is his group, Cheers George