News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi

I am looking for details on Joseph Riepenhof. Here is what I have on him:

He was at Norm?e with then Hauptmann L. M?ldner von M?lnheim, who calls him his treue Bursche R. Later in the war he was Ordonnanz and driver? of the Crownprince (therefore I take it he was an officer on the staff of the 5AOK Deutsche Kronprinz. He lived to see the end of the war, as he is amongst the officers who accompany the german Crownprince into exile.

Hope it is possible to find out something about him.

regards and thanks

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am looking for details on Joseph Riepenhof. Here is what I have on him:

He was at Norm?e with then Hauptmann L. M?ldner von M?lnheim, who calls him his treue Bursche R. Later in the war he was Ordonnanz and driver? of the Crownprince (therefore I take it he was an officer on the staff of the 5AOK Deutsche Kronprinz. He lived to see the end of the war, as he is amongst the officers who accompany the german Crownprince into exile.

Hope it is possible to find out something about him.

regards and thanks

David

There is no one of that name in the 1914-1918 Ehrenrangliste, so I think he could not have been a regular (active, non-reserve) officer in May 1914.

Additionally, there is no von Muelnheim in the Ehrenrangliste. I believe that this reference covers all of the several German Armies. Can you clarify info about these guys? I would think that members of the Crown Prince's entourage would have been regular officers.

Bob Lembke

There is no one of that name in the 1914-1918 Ehrenrangliste, so I think he could not have been a regular (active, non-reserve) officer in May 1914.

Additionally, there is no von Muelnheim in the Ehrenrangliste. I believe that this reference covers all of the several German Armies. Can you clarify info about these guys? I would think that members of the Crown Prince's entourage would have been regular officers.

Bob Lembke

Hi Bob extensive details on both MvM brothers can be found in other topics on this forum. I do not have anything else on Riepenhof then I state here.

Hi Bob extensive details on both MvM brothers can be found in other topics on this forum. I do not have anything else on Riepenhof then I state here.

David;

I had run a search on the entire forum and the only mention of "Muelnheim" is your post above. But, I also looked in the 1914 Rangliste, and realized that his "last" name is considered "Mueldner von Muelnheim"; I had assumed that Mueldner was the first name.

I guess that you know about them. One was Adjutant of the 4. Garde=Infantrie=Brigade, seconded from the 4. Garde=Regiment z. F., date of rank 20. 7. 12.

The other was CO of 2. Kompagnie, Fuesilier=Regiment Nr. 39. Date of rank was 20. 3. 11. Of course the source does not give their first names. Brothers, I assume.

Also, in the 1914 Rangliste there is no Riepenhof. There are a couple of Riepenhausen's, they seem quite obscure.

So was he a reserve officer, or even an enlisted man or a civilian? My father caged cigarettes from the Crown Prince several times (he and his father were patrons of my father's unit, and he frequently dropped in on the company barracks), and reported that he was quite comfortable with and interested in the common soldier.

Bob Lembke

Maybe he was not an officer at all?

As Rick says, A Bursche seems to have been an enlisted servant.

An Ordonnanz to a General was usually a junior officer, driver to the crownprinz? Maybe a senior NCO or Leutnant doubling as Ordonnanz?

I assume way too low on the paygrade to get a mention anywhere?