News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scharnhorst

Gordon Williamson

I love looking at ship models, are these in a museum Gordon???

These models are fantastic, I presume they are somewhere in Germany with the lack

of swastikas on the tail of the Arados. I believe Blohm & Voss has a real large scale

beauty of the Bismark that was made during the war....

Enjoyed the photos immensely!

Bob

Bob,

Believe it or not the Scharmhorst was in a Bundesmarine training establishment whose new commander didn't want anything related to the 3rd Reich period and it was going to be thrown out in the trash or destroyed. Thankfully someone interceded and it was given to the U-Boot Archiv where it is now on display in one of the basement rooms alongside a fully restored 8.8cm deck gun from a U-Boat.

The Prinz Eugen model is at the Naval Air Base at Nordholz. They also have a couple of lovely models of a Minesweeper and a Kriegsfischkutter.

Nordholz is near to Cuxhaven, the principal Minewseeping base in WW2.

Gordon, I love those models, real beauties, I would have liked to have been around when they were talking about

throwing that one out the door, I am sure I could have found a way to get it home....

We have just had a fortnightly magazine and model parts offer through the local newsagents here (Oz) to build a

1:200 scale model of the Bismark (Hachette), which looks great in the photos shown in volume 1, very tempting,

but I had a quick look on the internet at the model, which has already been released in Germany and the UK, and

I think by about issue 15 or so I would be stomping all over it and needing a good bottle of something to calm

down again, but I am sure the model guys would be able to do a great job with it.

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos Gordon, greatly appreciated at this end, oh yeah as one who once

dabbled in KM headgear collecting, I am currently waiting on your book to arrive, could push me back over the

edge again..... :speechless:

Best wishes

Bob

We have just had a fortnightly magazine and model parts offer through the local newsagents here (Oz) to build a 1:200 scale model of the Bismark (Hachette), which looks great in the photos shown in volume 1, very tempting, but I had a quick look on the internet at the model, which has already been released in Germany and the UK, and I think by about issue 15 or so I would be stomping all over it and needing a good bottle of something to calm down again, but I am sure the model guys would be able to do a great job with it.

Building it as we speak ! And you are right, it does frazzle the nerves a bit. The hull is the nightmare. Once you get onto the superstructure things get a lot easier ( lots of resin, metal, plastics etc)

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos Gordon, greatly appreciated at this end, oh yeah as one who once dabbled in KM headgear collecting, I am currently waiting on your book to arrive, could push me back over the edge again.....

I know what you mean. Sold off my KM visor caps when I decided to cut back on militaria collecting, but I keep getting the urge to buy another. One thing at least, on this Forum we are fortunate to have Michel Legrand and when you need advise on buying a KM cap, <u>no-one </u>knows more about good KM headgear than him.

• 1 month later...