News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Idi Amin VC Medals

tynesideirish

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two observations:

I believe included in the mounted medals is the British Africa General Service Medal - presumably he saw service with the Kings African Rifles during the Kenyan Mau Mau conflict.

In an number of the photos he is wearing a striped tie - could this be a KAR regimental tie?

Regards,

Owain.

P.S. When I lived in Jeddah his house was near to the British School and periodically he would attend trade promotions and walk off with all the free brochures and hand outs. At one stage he was admitted to a local hospital with some minor complaint and a Scottish nurse who I knew refused to treat him - she was threatened with dismissal and still refused - the hospital backed down.

Here are two more pics

If I remember correctly he created and awarded himself the title C.B.E. (Conquerer of the British Empire) :cheeky:

I think the full title was,"His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."

Wouldn't like to be his signwriter... :speechless1:

I believe that they used a British campaign star as the Victorious Cross as it was the closest thing they could find to match. An Africa Star perhaps?

Regards;

Johnsy

An early 1970s "Medal Collector" article describing Amin's receipt and wear of a Swiss unofficial medal lists some of Amin's other awards. He "qualified" for the Israeli wings and even continued to wear then after Entebbe. The OMRS journal also had several articles on this topic. Ed Joslin of Spink spoke specifically about Amin at an early 1970s OMSA convention during a presentation on "designing jewelled jam tarts". An Order of the Source of the Nile (Uganda's highest order under Amin) collar set reportedly belonging to Amin was on offer at the Nairobi Hilton gift shop in 1988. Several countries withdrew their awards presented to Amin following his expulsion of Asians but he continued wearing the insignia.

Someone (FJP?) had one for sale recently.

There was a nice illustration that I cannot locate now.

The Cross of Valour (that is the Amin Dada VC). Is Identical to the Victoria Cross the exception being instead of a Lion good old Idi's mugshot and the motto FOR GOD AND MY COUNTRY, the reverse has the Ugandan arms motto FOR SUPREME VALOUR. Does nobody own a copy of Werlich? both sides are illustrated. I can understand the Scottish nurse not wanting to treat him as he had a particularly virrulent form of the disease of Venus.

All the best,

Paul

Off the top of my head the left hand five appear to be:

Badge of collar of Great Badr of Saudi Arabia - but need to check my records

Lybia - from ribbon Order of the Republic

Order of Renaissance of Jordan

Order of Omayyad of Syria

Order of Merit(?) of Mauretania

The left hand lot all appear to be other African Orders - the top one Order of the Nile of Uganda?

Regards,

Owain

Off the top of my head the left hand five appear to be:

Badge of collar of Great Badr of Saudi Arabia - but need to check my records

Lybia - from ribbon Order of the Republic

Order of Renaissance of Jordan

Order of Omayyad of Syria

Order of Merit(?) of Mauretania

The left hand lot all appear to be other African Orders - the top one Order of the Nile of Uganda?

Regards,

Owain

As far as I can distinguish, the stars are:

1st row: An-Nahda (Jordan), Source of the Nile (Uganda) and Civil Merit (Burundi)

2nd row: Omayyad (Syria), National Merit (Central Africa), Merit (Guinea)

3rd row: National Merit (Mauritania), badge of a spurious Constantinian Order, Merit (Rwanda)

I concur on Great Badr and Lybia, as well as the Swiss parachutist medal.

Regards.

Dragomir

Well, I knew I had seen one SOMEWHERE.

H. D. Rauch, 29 April 2003 auction, lot D4591. I have no note as to what it sold for, but the estimate was EUR 500. Made by Spink.

I cannot find any copyright notice in their catalogue, but I still feel twitchy posting this. If I should remove the image, let me know.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

H. D. Rauch, 29 April 2003 auction, lot D4591. I have no note as to what it sold for, but the estimate was EUR 500. Made by Spink.

I cannot find any copyright notice in their catalogue, but I still feel twitchy posting this. If I should remove the image, let me know.

I remember as a child being rather impressed with Idi Amin's uniform and decorations. Of coarse Colonel Klink's did too! :rolleyes:

Idi started with good intensions... :violent:

• 7 months later...

I think that it is comical!! The Victory Cross!! hahahaha! I cannot believe that he would award himself a medal with his own portrait on it! I dont think that anyone could get more vain than that!