News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Idi Amin VC Medals

tynesideirish

I think that it is comical!! The Victory Cross!! hahahaha! I cannot believe that he would award himself a medal with his own portrait on it! I dont think that anyone could get more vain than that!

But don't most 'royals' do exactly that?

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Rick Research

Actually, the diminutively tragic Franz Josef of Austria-Hungary used to turn his awards reverse side up so there weren't rows of Mini Hims across his narrow chest. Always thought that had a certain class. :ninja:

"Actually, the 'Royal' medal that amuses me the most is the Canadian Forces Decoration worn by Prince Charles - awarded in 2002 for long service as an honorary colonel-in-chief of several Canadian regiments"

Not quite sure why this is so "amusing".

The CD is awarded to all sorts of Honorary Colonels and Honorary Liutenant-Colonels, many of these appointments being liberally distributed amongst politicians, ex-politicians and even rich businessmen. Lord Black was Honorrary Colonel of one of the choisest regiments, The Governor-General's Foot Gaurds.

"Chronology of Amin's military promotions

King's African Rifles

1961 First Ugandan Commissioned Officer, Lieutenant"

Not so.

Several Ugandan gentlemen, particularly from Bugandan Royal and noble families held commissions during the Great War and served in the East Africa campaign. The Kabaka of Buganda ended the War as a a Captain. His eldest son, Prince George, served as a Captain during WW2 and headed the Ugandan chaper of the British Legion and various ex-servicemen's organisations for years.

This is true. I knew a chap who did his PHD work on the African armies colonial transitions (1920-1970). Sadly he died last year (and is the source of the Ugandan medals at Lowell), but this 'factoid' was one of his bugaboos.

Idi Amin made it up and who ever checked or cared to check?

This is true. I knew a chap who did his PHD work on the African armies colonial transitions (1920-1970). Sadly he died last year (and is the source of the Ugandan medals at Lowell), but this 'factoid' was one of his bugaboos.

Idi Amin made it up and who ever checked or cared to check?

I suppose Idi made it up and it got into the newspapers. His personal reading may not have taken him as far as the Great War, he would certainly have been aware of Prince George Chwa, since he was still Vice-President of the British Legion in Uganda in 1970. I think his first commission dates from May 1939, before the War started.

These 'factoids' about first commissions always interest me. Not so long ago I found a son of a former Black slave from Barbados. He served in the British forces during the American War of Independence, and ended his years with a commission as a Lieutenant Colonel in the New Brunswick or Nova Scotia Militia in 1782. Sadly, the man went out into the woods one day and was eaten by a bear.

• 7 months later...

I think that it is comical!! The Victory Cross!! hahahaha! I cannot believe that he would award himself a medal with his own portrait on it! I dont think that anyone could get more vain than that!

This is a picture of Ugnada Victory Cross without copyright.

Idi Amin copy all british awards : VC MC DSC MM....

Anothe one of Idi Amin's medals - Presidents Commendation:-

Here is the Uganda Version of the Military Cross.

On left & right arms the Crossed Spear for the army,on top & below arms the Uganda Air Force Wings.

But how many were awarded ... ?

For the Victory Cross Idi Amin awarded it only to himself,but what about MC , Commendation Cross & MM ?

If someone has a copy of the Ugnada Gazette it would be interesting.

Emmanuel

• 4 years later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Paul you have to live in Africa to believe what goes on here, more so north of our borders but it does seem to be creaping in here as well.

Personally I hated this man and all he stood for, I opened a beer when I heard he had died. He typifies everything that is bad about African leaders. Democracy in African terms is a bad word but used as a smokescreen to get the West to keep filling the ever empty begging bowl. The preferred way to rule in Africa is the Feudal system, the chief or leader is all powerful and just dare go against him...you will fail, just ask Comrade Julius Malema the fallen ex ANC Youth League leader.

Rant over, sorry to ruffle any feathers.

Brian

Edited by brian conyngham

• 2 years later...

Gentlemen,

Some years ago on EBay Idi Amin's Saudi certificate accompanying the Collar of the Great Badr - highest Saudi state award to Muslim Heads of State was offered for sale - I bid in vain hope and was unsuccessful. As to the collar - it was of gold and thus I suspect 'disappeared' at some stage.

The certificate is signed and dated 1972 by King Faisal and presented to "His Excellency President Idi Amin Dada President of the Republic of Uganda".

Regards,

Owain

Badr Certificate to Idi Amin.JPG

Edited by oamotme
    Addition

• 1 year later...

On 4/18/2013 at 12:23, ilja559 said:

State combat star.

12.jpg

Does anyone know why idi amin wore his state combat star first in his rack of medals? what was it awarded for? Also what was the meritorious service star awarded for?

Edited by roberttheknight

Most of 'Dada' Amin's medals were self awarded in the latter stages of his leadership.  He joined the KAR post WWII, as a cook, and was with them in Somalia - battling Shufta cattle raiders apparently - but would not, I think, have received any real medals for that.  Rose to the rank of Effendi [Warrant Officer] in the British KAR and eventually deputy commander of the post independence Ugandan Army.

Wikipedia says this of his awards:

After the United Kingdom broke off all diplomatic relations with his regime in 1977, Amin declared he had defeated the British, and conferred on himself the decoration of CBE (Conqueror of the British Empire). His full self-bestowed title ultimately became: "His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSOMC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular", in addition to his officially-stated claim of being the uncrowned King of Scotland.  He never received the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) or the Military Cross (MC). He conferred a doctorate of law on himself from Makerere University as well as the Victorious Cross (VC), a medal made to emulate the British Victoria Cross.

Getty Images will happily sell you a shot of him wearing all his awards. ;)

Edited by peter monahan