News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few Bavarian Officers

Bonjour,

Here are a few loose portraits of Bavarian officers - not really my collecting theme, but I was attracted by their excellent tones and wonderful expressivity.

Those albumin prints are mounted on CDV backs - sadly no photographer's mark or name, and as they have no medals, not much will be known about them - Still portraits of old warriors to enjoy !

Bavarian2.jpg

Bavarian3.jpg

Bavarian1.jpg

Bavarian4.jpg

One thing I was intrigued about was to find out the last two officers are sporting ... earrings !

(I don't know much about Bavarian uniforms btw, so if someone's got any knowledge, I'd be interested in hints)

Cheers,

Jerome

Hello Jerome:

These photographs are very interesting! I would like to start off by saying that I do not have a background in uniforms. These uniforms do look similar to period German uniforms, but I find nothing to specifically identify them as such.

I am struck by the fact that these fellows look Spanish, Mexican, or South American, and not German. I have never seen a Bavarian Officer of this period sporting an earring!

Do you have any other clues to their origin? Perhaps these were some of Maximillian's Officers?

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Hello Jerome:

These photographs are very interesting! I would like to start off by saying that I do not have a background in uniforms. These uniforms do look similar to period German uniforms, but I find nothing to specifically identify them as such.

I am struck by the fact that these fellows look Spanish, Mexican, or South American, and not German. I have never seen a Bavarian Officer of this period sporting an earring!

Do you have any other clues to their origin? Perhaps these were some of Maximillian's Officers?

Best regards,

"SPM"

Hi SPM

These Gentlemen certainly due look South American, maybe the Bavarians employed soldiers of fortune in their 1866 conflict. I think you hit the nail on the head and their part of Maximillian's officer corp dressed in European style uniform.

They are fascinating fotos. Any chance could be Austrian uniforms?

Sincerely

Yankee

Bonjour Messieurs,

Thanks for your reflections !

Why but they do look a bit funky, don't they ?

Schie?platzmeister along the lot came a CDV (same kind of uniform, but obviously of different manufacture - and much less character) taken in "Photographisches Atelier vom A. RUSSLER in Bamberg".

Yankee I don't think these uniforms could be Austrian (at that time, apart from the J?ger and such, they'd still be wearing their trademark white uniforms).

That said I agree they do indeed look rather Spanish/South American/Hungarian/Gipsy - go figure !

nesredep, well here are more of the same (some of which looking more Bavarian indeed) :

Bavarian5.jpg

Bavarian6.jpg

Bavarian7.jpg

Bavarian8.jpg

And that's the end of them !

Cheers,

Jerome

Hello Jerome:

Thank you for the additional photographs. The last grouping could possibly pass for Bavarians (I do not think that they are however).

I did a bit of research and these uniforms do not look like the uniforms of Maximilian's Officers. I think that we can rule out my hypothesis regarding that possibility.

Another thought is that perhaps they are Italian and connected to the 1859 conflict.

If only one of the photos had a name on it, or an Officer was wearing an Order or medal!

The mystery continues!

Best regards,

"SPM"

Jerome,

these officers ARE Bavarians from the 1860s. The first and last but one photographs are of military officials of Doctors with the equivalent rank of an Oberlieutenant. The green lanyard (Schnurgeflechte)which most are wearing is the distinction of the J?ger or Sch?tzen worn prior to August 1869. Judging by their age, these guys are probably Landwehr types.

Regards

Glenn