News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Colonel question

Hello gents,

I have this uniform from a Dutch Colonel, a pre 1940 tunic.

It is named to Geus Storm.

is there anybody who can tell me more about this man?

It looks like he also had a spange with medals, because there are severeal loops of wires on the uniform where it should be attached to, of course also very possible looking at the rank.

(ps, the shoulderboards on the uniform aren't correct)

thanks in advance

koloneljx9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That is a really nice uniform - it is so complete. Without seeing closer pictures of the piping, I couldn't even hazard a guess as to branch of service. What is incorrect about the shoulder boards, the rank? Because they look similar to the correct style.

Cheers,

Tod

Hello gents,

I have this uniform from a Dutch Colonel, a pre 1940 tunic.

It is named to Geus Storm.

is there anybody who can tell me more about this man?

It looks like he also had a spange with medals, because there are severeal loops of wires on the uniform where it should be attached to, of course also very possible looking at the rank.

(ps, the shoulderboards on the uniform aren't correct)

thanks in advance

koloneljx9.jpg

Roeland,

The 1923 Officers list, lists on page 243:

Infantry - Reserve 1st Lieutenants

G. Storm, 21. Infantry Regiment, 1st Lt. 3 July, 1922, 2nd Lt. 3 July, 1918, born 1897.

The 1939 Officers list, lists on page 180:

G. Storm, Bikers Regiment, 1st Lt. 1 January, 1936, 2nd Lt. 1 January, 1932, born 1908.

The 1956 Officers list, lists on page 80:

Infantry - Reserve Captains

G. Storm, Student-Pilot, Temp. Maj, Capt. 1 April 1947, 1st Lt. 1 January 1936, 2nd Lt. 1 January 1932, born 1908.

Awards: War Commemorative Cross 1940-1945 with clasp 'Netherlands May 1940', Officers Long Service Cross 'XX', Military Merit Medal Portugal 3rd class

I don't know if any of these two officers is your Colonel, but they are the only G. Storms mentioned.

Gr.,

Erik

Roeland,

The 1939 Officers list, lists on page 180:

G. Storm, Bikers Regiment, 1st Lt. 1 January, 1936, 2nd Lt. 1 January, 1932, born 1908.

Gr.,

Erik

Eric

:off topic: On a totally irrelevant (and cheeky) note: can I assume that "Bikers Regiment" is either named for a Colonel Biker or were a battalion mounted on bicycles?

Because to my North American mind it conjures up visions of big hairy guys on Harley Davidson's!

Just the sort of Unit I'd want to be an NCO or officer in !! :speechless1:

Edited by peter monahan

Sorry Peter, is is a battalion mounted on bicycles. In Duth it is called 'Regiment Wielrijders', I couldn't come up with another translation. :lol:

Cheers,

Erik

Eric

:off topic: On a totally irrelevant (and cheeky) note: can I assume that "Bikers Regiment" is either named for a Colonel Biker or were a battalion mounted on bicycles?

Because to my North American mind it conjures up visions of big hairy guys on Harley Davidson's!

Just the sort of Unit I'd want to be an NCO or officer in !! :speechless1:

Sorry Peter, is is a battalion mounted on bicycles. In Duth it is called 'Regiment Wielrijders', I couldn't come up with another translation. :lol:

Cheers,

Erik

Erik

That was my guess, actually, but I couldn't resist poking you! :rolleyes: I only wish I spoke any language besides my milk tongue as well as so many members of this group clearly speak/write multiple languages!

Peter

Erik

That was my guess, actually, but I couldn't resist poking you! :rolleyes: I only wish I spoke any language besides my milk tongue as well as so many members of this group clearly speak/write multiple languages!

Peter

We have to, you Brits usually don?t speak other languages :P

This post offcourse being :off topic:

We have to, you Brits usually don?t speak other languages :P

This post offcourse being :off topic:

:off topic: again. Not ectuelly British, doncher know. An uppity colonial me: proud resident of the Dominion of Canada, where we have two official languages, and a few citizens who actually speak both fluently . Not, to my shame, me, although I can usually manage to order a beer, find the bog and precipitate a fight about sports in both English and French! And on a good day I can annoy cabbies in Toronto with my command of obscentity and invective in at least six of their native tongues! :jumping:

Thanks for the replies, I guess he isn't one of these or he must be the one born in 1897 (I think the others are the same person), or else it couldn't be that he was a Colonel before WW2.

That is a really nice uniform - it is so complete. Without seeing closer pictures of the piping, I couldn't even hazard a guess as to branch of service. What is incorrect about the shoulder boards, the rank? Because they look similar to the correct style.

Cheers,

Tod

The uniform is still missing some items, such as a fouragere and feathers on the kepie (the hat/cap).

He is an infantry officer (which you can see by looking at the red piping and no emblems indicating a certain branch).

The Dutch had their ranks in the neck not on the shoulderbourds, this one has (feels like real metal, with gold on it, in my country we call it ''gouddraad'' gold threads) neck with 3 stars, indicating a colonel.

I can compare the uniform with a uniform of a captain.

kapitein.JPGkolonel2rf2.jpg

1st picture above is a captain, a normal black neck with 3 stars, the colonel as next to it and below, gold neck with 3 stars:

kraagtp6.jpg

after the 2nd WW, the ranks where indicated on the shoulder boards.

The shoulder boards should be flat and in a straight line as below, the one I had on the colonel uniform are for a different type of uniform.

schoudergx3.jpgschouder2vw7.jpg

actually quite a weird story on those shoulder boards, I asked a well know Dutch collector(one of the largest Dutch WW2 collectors) if he had some matching ones for me as they where missing(and I didn't know what should be on it) and he sold me these for 30 euro.

2 months larer he aproached me when he saw I had this uniform, and told me he wanted to buy it, but the shoulder boards where wrong and that affected the price, he said he thought it was very stupid of me to display it completely wrong and it was rubish, the uniform wouldn't be worth much because of my error, he offered me the same price for the entire uniform as I paid him for the shoulderboards alone, he didn't realised it was me, as he didn't see my name on the site.

But I never buy anything from him again, as I found out this isn't the only thing he did to someone, and he is very agressive in his emails, like in the email about buying the uniform, he didn't know em(or at least he thought he didn't) and called me stupid etc.

but apart from that strange story, after the war the ranks where put on the shoulder boards, like this(see pictures below), a captain and colonel.

The difference is no longer in the golden neck, but indicated by a golden leaf bar.

schouder3op8.jpgkolonel_tcm31-58494.jpg

Edited by Roeland