News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Education Doc's

Guest Rick Research

Augh. Ukrainian, not Russian. Harder to translate BUT

:Cat-Scratch:

The Kharkov Engineer-Economic Institute of the NKVD of the USSR!!! ??? :speechless1::speechless1:

Great documents, congratulations! I am delighted they are in such a good condition, that's really rare.

About the first one, are you sure about NKVD? The answer is sitting right in front of me but I can't read it - the top line on the front cover - нарком(WHAT?) СРСР ... The last bit is the the USSR in Ukrainian, нарком is Peoples Comissariat (abbreviated). What does it say in the missing bit?

Sergei

Guest Rick Research

It's just the full name of the Institute in Ukrainian with * NKVD SRSR*

I now see that it is NOT "SSSR" but whatever "SRSR" was-- but the "NKVD" is clear:

or is that "NKVP" ???????????????????

Rick,

I think I got it (nearly twisted my eyes)

I was referring to the front cover, just above the gilt line. I am pretty sure it says наркомважпром СРСР, the last bit being Soyuz Radianskiy Sotsialistichniy Respubliks, i.e. USSR in Ukarainian. The наркомважпром is most probably Narodnyi Komissariat Tyazholoi Promyshlenosti (Peoples Commissariat of the Heavy Industry) but I would really love to have a Ukrainian to confirm this. If I am right, then the abbreviation in the stamp should read as НКВП or NKVP, as you suggestested. My problem is, I cannot remember the Ukrainian for Тяжелой even though I spent 15 years in that country as a child (i.e. a long time ago)

Sergei

Guest Rick Research

I only have one eye and NO Ukrainian, so we make a good team! :cheeky: I think you are right about the People's Commissariat of Heavy Industry. My eye was "seeing" what it "should" say in RUSSIAN even though I knew it's in Ukrainian. :cheers:

I only have one eye and NO Ukrainian, so we make a good team! :cheeky: I think you are right about the People's Commissariat of Heavy Industry. My eye was "seeing" what it "should" say in RUSSIAN even though I knew it's in Ukrainian. :cheers:

Your eye + plus my Ukrainian - I don't envy Order-of-Victory and his recent acqusition!

I am sure we'll crack it, it's coming back slowly - things like a typical Ukrainian construction Vazhkoi Promyslovosti for the Heavy Industry. Don't we have a proper Ukrainian (or at least a Ukrainian Canadian) on the forum?

Off to bed, London time for me.

Sergei