News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saddam Hussein's Palace door wooden carving

Guest IMHF

Saddam Hussein's Palace door wooden carving

This piece was taken in O.I.F I from the Palace of former Iraqi ruler Saddam Hussein. It is a carving with the initials of Saddam Hussein for the center of Saddam's Palace door.

If you have any information about this piece pleae post here on the GMIC for others to share.

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

• 2 months later...

It bears in centre the two first letters from Saddam's Name (ص first letter in " Saddam) &( ح first letter in " Hussein" ), both two arabic letters written in kufi arabic type of fonts. You see. May be these useful information

but is this peace taken from the wall bottom or stairs in palace ???.

Thanx & regards.

Ed

Whats the difference with taking a Knights Cross off of a Dead Nazi, or taking a piece off of a Former dead leader of Iraq $400,000,000.00 dollar home? I would rather have this piece then a Knights Cross.... If I didn't take it some one else would have.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & Happy New Year.

Thank You

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Ed

Whats the difference with taking a Knights Cross off of a Dead Nazi, or taking a piece off of a Former dead leader of Iraq $400,000,000.00 dollar home? I would rather have this piece then a Knights Cross.... If I didn't take it some one else would have.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & Happy New Year.

Thank You

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

I have no particular interest in extending this discussion, but international law makes a clear distrinction here. And, yes, it does apply to all invaders and occupiers, and not just with regard to items stolen from national museums or archaeological sites.

You have posted your "trophy" for all to see. I hope you have not exposed the forum legally.

I consider this discussion closed. Perhaps I should lock the thread, but I shall not do so (yet).

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Darrell

Whether it be a door knob, broom handle, cigarette butt or documented Russian Medal Group, I see no difference through my eyes. It's either all good or all bad in my book.

Whether it be a door knob, broom handle, cigarette butt or documented Russian Medal Group, I see no difference through my eyes. It's either all good or all bad in my book.

Hi,

In my opinion ,others may disagree but I can not see a major problem here ,its been saved from possible destruction !

How many US soldiers mailed captured items back home during WW2 ??

Yet again these items will form part of history and in years to come will be appreciated as such.

regards

steve

Edited by arrestanddevelopment

Ed's comments are valid and raise the issue of what duty does a collector have over and above the mere acquisition of items for a collection. My sources over the years are many - auction houses, dealers (more recently Ebay), fellow collectors, shops and souks. As medals are in general "small" items the attention given to WWII looted artwork and it sale, even 50 years on, does not come into play. Most collectors are, by their own admission mere custodians of their collections for their life time and as such perform a role in the protection and research of historical items. Most of the items in my collection have no chain of historical integrity from the original owner and the story of thier dispersal is a mystery. Unfortunately a certain percentage will have been sold on as a result of less than scrupulous events. Medals perhaps more so than other collectors items due to their military nature, well in part, are likely to have a more clouded past than say stamps or coins. Anyway on balance I believe that conscientous collector who also involves himself in the history and research of his subject matter does provide a worthwhile service.

Regards,

Owain

Guest Darrell

Whether it's 1808 or 2008 ... whether it's debris on a battlefield, Sadaam's knitting needles, or medals .... you can't just jump from one side of the fence to the other dependent on the item. Who knows where that medal came from? Was it "taken" from a POW by force, was it found on the ground, was it found in a house, was it stolen a few weeks ago? Goes for anything. Unless you receive an item from a source by the owners choice, it can only be thrown into the same category. What makes one object righteous and another not?

An interesting discussion that, I believe, has the potential to cause a lot of hard feeling among the membership. I don't know what I would do, given the same chance, take it of leave it. I'm lucky not to be in that position and I thank those who have put themselves in harms way.

I just wrote a long winded opinion as to why this is different from TR items taken during the war and realized what a trap this thread can be. Therefore I deleted it. I don't want to get into a pissing match with any of the other members, that's not why I joined.

If you are looking for a "vote" I would suggest this thread be locked before it gets nasty.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian