News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"Kammerherrenschl?ssel"

This "Kammerherrenschl?ssel" was awarded in Oldenburg before 1829 under the duke Peter Friedrich Luwig. It shows his code "P". After his death followed Paul Friedrich August, later Nicolaus Friedrich Peter and finally the last one, Friedrich August. From this last one I know a "Kammerherrenschl?ssel" with his chiffre "FA".

My questions:

Had the granddukes Paul Friedrich August and Nikolaus Friedrich Peter "Kammerherrenschl?ssel" with their own chiffres, for example "PFA" or "NFP" ? Did anyone of you ever see a key with these chiffres ?

Maybe, you can help me.

Best regards

Kapitular

Guest Rick Research

Could you post how these were attached to court dress? They were worn at the hip somewhow, right? Is there a hook on back?

Do you take a look in:

Biblio - Verlagsverzeichnis 1998

Duwe, Georg. Erzk?mmerer, Kammerherren und ihre Schl?ssel.

Erzk?mmerer, Kammerherren und ihre Schl?ssel. Historische Entwicklung eines der ?ltesten Hof?mter vom Mittelalter bis 1918 mit Dokumentation und Rangabzeichen. XII, 480 Seiten mit 209 Abb. 17x24 cm. Osnabr?ck 1990. Lwd.

ISBN 3-7648-1742-9 DM 180,-

Schl?ssel als Symbole f?r Recht und Macht im weltlichen wie im kirchlichen Bereich hatten schon immer eine gro?e Bedeutung: sei es das b?rgerliche Schl?sselrecht in der Ehe, die ,,potestas clavium" des Papstes oder der Schl?ssel als Orden- und Ehrenzeichen mit entsprechenden Befugnissen und gesellschaftlicher Stellung an den Hofstaaten von den Karolingern bis zum Ersten Weltkrieg. Der Autor des vorliegenden Buches dokumentiert diese Zusammenh?nge an den Beispielen der Erzk?mmerer und Kammerherren, den wohl ?ltesten Hof?mtern Europas, die es zu allen Zeiten und in allen Staaten des Heiligen R?mischen Reiches Deutscher Nation (aber nat?rlich auch im Ausland) gab.

Auf 209 Abbildungen werden die kunstvoll gearbeiteten Machtsymbole gezeigt und im Text Ursprung, Bedeutung sowie Entwicklung bis in die Gegenwart hinein erl?utert.

Thanks for the bookinformation. Maybe I`ll find an answer there, although my questions are very special.

Rick, there is a hook. It was worn on the right hip, in some states additional with a scarf in the colours of the state.

Do you take a look in:

Biblio - Verlagsverzeichnis 1998

Duwe, Georg. Erzk?mmerer, Kammerherren und ihre Schl?ssel.

Erzk?mmerer, Kammerherren und ihre Schl?ssel. Historische Entwicklung eines der ?ltesten Hof?mter vom Mittelalter bis 1918 mit Dokumentation und Rangabzeichen. XII, 480 Seiten mit 209 Abb. 17x24 cm. Osnabr?ck 1990. Lwd.

ISBN 3-7648-1742-9 DM 180,-

Schl?ssel als Symbole f?r Recht und Macht im weltlichen wie im kirchlichen Bereich hatten schon immer eine gro?e Bedeutung: sei es das b?rgerliche Schl?sselrecht in der Ehe, die ,,potestas clavium" des Papstes oder der Schl?ssel als Orden- und Ehrenzeichen mit entsprechenden Befugnissen und gesellschaftlicher Stellung an den Hofstaaten von den Karolingern bis zum Ersten Weltkrieg. Der Autor des vorliegenden Buches dokumentiert diese Zusammenh?nge an den Beispielen der Erzk?mmerer und Kammerherren, den wohl ?ltesten Hof?mtern Europas, die es zu allen Zeiten und in allen Staaten des Heiligen R?mischen Reiches Deutscher Nation (aber nat?rlich auch im Ausland) gab.

Auf 209 Abbildungen werden die kunstvoll gearbeiteten Machtsymbole gezeigt und im Text Ursprung, Bedeutung sowie Entwicklung bis in die Gegenwart hinein erl?utert.

Guest Rick Research

:beer: Court dress shows up every so often, so now I will know to look for a Chamberlain's slit there, the way there are usually dagger hanger slits or clips in the left lower pocket of officers' uniforms.

Hi,

I take it from the discussion here that these "Kammerherrenschl?ssel" were worn as a symbol of office. What exactly was the office and the duties reqiuired of the bearer?

Regards,

Sam

Edited by sambolini

Thanks, I know them both, but they are from Friedrich August, so the chiffre is "FA". I hope, to see one with the chiffre "A" from Paul Friedrich August or with the chiffre "NFP" from Nikolaus Friedrich Peter. Your website I found too, very informing and interesting! By the way, I suppose, that the Oldenburg keys wer worn without a ribbon, but I am not sure.

For all who are intersted, a picture from the back:

Regards Kapitular

On Huesken?s website you will find a Chamberlain Key, Oldenburg 1900 - 1918: http://www.german-militaria.de/details/d35609.html

The same key you find at Thies Auction 30, No. 408.

Red

PS: On my website you find a key from Nassau. :jumping:

I am sorry, but my english is not so good, to give you all the informations you are looking for, but in the internet you will find a lot of them. For example here:

http://www.mfa.org/collections/search_art....ue&id=53276

Best regards

Kapitular

Hi,

I take it from the discussion here that these "Kammerherrenschl?ssel" were worn as a symbol of office. What exactly was the office and the duties reqiuired of the bearer?

Reguards,

Sam