News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canada General Service Medal

I presently own C.G.S.M. with bar for the Fenian Raid 1866 to 720 Pte Eugene Murphy of the 30th (Cambridgeshire) Regt, I have obtained medal roles for the regiment and it confirms his entitlement, I am asking if anyone can help with information/links, of movements, involvement of the 30th Regt along the Canadian frontier during the Regiments posting in Canada. :D

Best regards

Geoff

At Cornwall the situation was exceedingly serious, as it was known that Gen. Sweeny had particular designs on that place, and was making every preparation to deliver an attack. The possession of the canals was one of his chief desires, and to ward off such an attempt a strong force was quickly mobilized at this point of danger. On the 2nd of June a public meeting of citizens was called and a committee appointed to act in concert with the military commandant in putting the town in a thorough state of defence. A patrol was established for ten miles up and down the river by the local companies, and navigation on the river and through the canal was stopped. Early on the 3rd of June troops began arriving from different points, and by the following morning over 2,000 had been assembled under the command of Col. T. H. Pakenham, of H. M. 30th Regiment. The Canadian force which was mustered at Cornwall was composed of the 14th (Kingston) Battalion, the 25th Regiment (King's Own Borderers), the 11th Argenteuil Rangers, a portion of H. M. 30th Regiment, one division of the Ottawa Field Battery, the 6th Hochelaga Light Infantry, two companies of Ottawa Rifles, and two Cornwall companies.

A quote from "Troublous Times in Canada" Here is a link to the full text: http://www.canadiangenealogy.net/fenian-raids-1866-1870.htm

I have the medal to Pte. P.E. Noverre, Queen's Own Rifles, who was at Ridgeway. He was one of the author's sources for the battle, and tells of two incidents:

Mr. P. E. Noverre, of No. 5 Co., Q.O.R., relates that during the progress of the fight a patriotic lady and her little daughter, who resided in the neighborhood of the battlefield, were busy carrying water for the thirsty soldiers to drink. They were right in the line of fire, but seemed to disdain the danger. Suddenly a Fenian bullet perforated the tin pail the little girl was carrying, and she remarked, "Mother, the pail is leaking; it won't hold water." Mr. Noverre was being served with a drink by the lady at the time, when another bullet whizzed past his ear and severely wounded a soldier of the 13th Battalion who was standing behind him.

Mr. Phil. E. Noverre was an eye-witness to the interment of eleven Fenians in a field near Fort Erie. These bodies were found by our troops on arrival at Fort Erie on Sunday, and it is supposed the men were killed during the two actions at Ridgeway and Fort Erie. Five or six more were buried on the Ridgeway battlefield.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Thanks for the link Michael, I haven't had time to read it fully just yet, it's content looks really interesting and it's a site I have not seen before, again thanks for the input.

If you don't already have them I can provide the names of those killed and wounded of the Queen's Own Rifles from the Battle of Ridgeway.

:beer:

Best regards

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Geoff, but I have the complete CGS Medal rolls in book form.

If I?m not mistaken, the rolls published are only for the people who applied for the medal. There are others that were entitled to the medal, but unless they applied for it, they did not receive and therefore were not recorded in the rolls!

Cheers,

James

Hi James, I would think the same as you regarding medal rolls for the Fenian Raids, content of the rolls only of those that applied for the medal, when you take into account the number of Imperial and Canadian Forces involved in the suppression of the Raids, 1866-1870, the 16,121 medals officially issued, over something like 28 years, seems rather paltry!

On the British side of the issue, I wonder how recipients of the medals over here got to know of the awards availabilty, I would have thought the vast majority of those involved in the Raids would no longer be in touch with their regiments! maybe that's one of the reasons for the low uptake on British issues, only about 850.

Best regards

Geoff