News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Coins featuring Military themes

There are many coins commemorating military history. One of the earliest ones that I can think of is the Hanoverian thaler for the 50th Anniversary of Waterloo in 1865. Prussia in 1871 produced the siegesthaler to commemorate the victory over the French in the Franco Prussian War. In 1913 they along with Saxony produced a 3 mark coin to commemorate the centenary of the Battle of Leipzig. Russia issued a commemorative rouble for the bicentenary of the battle of Gangut in 1914 (in 1839 they produced a rouble and a 11/2 roubles for the building of a memorial for the battle of Borodino). More recently Great Britain produced a 50 pence for the 60th anniversery of D-Day and in 2006 a 50 pence for the 150th anniveraryof the Victoria cross. If you want to go back to antiquity there are many Roman coins commemorating their various military triumphs. One of the most famous being the Judaea Capta srious which commemorates the defeat of the first Jewish revolt in AD 70. So certainly there is a wealth of numismatic material related to military events and I suspect quirte a large collection could be formed of such material.

All the best,

Paul